Answered

Sonos / Alexa issue

• 2 January 2023
  • 9 replies

2 days ago all three of our Alexa enabled devices stopped responding to the wake word (2x One's and 1x Arc). Since then I've tried removing and re-enabling the skill, and the usual resets etc. I left it for 24 hours to see if it would just clear itself to no avail.

Today I tried to remove the voice assistant and re-add it on one of the devices and after logging into the Amazon account the Sonos app errors saying there was a problem (helpful error codes there Devs). 

Has anyone experienced similar or could suggest a way to resolve it?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 6 January 2023, 11:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

You could try the following steps:

1. In the Sonos app, remove all instances of Alexa from your Sonos system
    • From the Settings tab, press Services & Voice

• Under Voice, tap Alexa

• Press the Sonos product that’s using the voice service, then press Remove.

• Repeat until no Sonos rooms have Alexa
  2. In the Alexa app, find the Sonos skill and disable it
    • More » Skills & Games » Search icon » Sonos » Disable Skill
  3. In the Amazon website, log in to the same account used for Alexa and remove links to Sonos devices
    • go to Account » Devices & Content » Devices. De-register all entries relating to Sonos devices.
  4. In the Sonos app, add Alexa to the rooms you’d like it in. This will remake all the links intentionally broken in steps 1, 2 and 3
    • Tap the Settings tab. select Services & Voice > Under Voice, Add a Voice Assistant > Amazon Alexa

Thanks Mr.T - I followed this through and stripped it out of everywhere. When I re-add a device in step 4 I complete the Amazon sign in and then it goes back to the Sonos app, progresses to the adding Alexa "page" and then i get the same "there was a problem adding Alexa" message. The device is listed in my Amazon devices but Sonos isn't adding the Alexa service.

Userlevel 7

Thanks Mr.T - I followed this through and stripped it out of everywhere. When I re-add a device in step 4 I complete the Amazon sign in and then it goes back to the Sonos app, progresses to the adding Alexa "page" and then i get the same "there was a problem adding Alexa" message. The device is listed in my Amazon devices but Sonos isn't adding the Alexa service.

I successfully managed to add Alexa to a device just now.

Do you have another mobile/tablet that you can try with?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

In addition to the great steps from @Mr. T, you may want to check out this post:

Tips & Tricks - Resolving Most Alexa Issues | Sonos Community

Thanks guys, it's still failing at the same step on my other halfs phone as well... 

I just tried to add Google assistant to see if that worked and it set up first time. Definitely something not working quite as intended between Sonos and Amazon...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have you installed any new Amazon Apps?  I’m leaning towards an Amazon Account linking issue due to multiple accounts or duplicate IP addresses: Tips & Tricks - Resolving random issues impacting Sonos devices.. | Sonos Community

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ard2k 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If you are still having problems with this, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

Have you installed any new Amazon Apps?  I’m leaning towards an Amazon Account linking issue due to multiple accounts or duplicate IP addresses: Tips & Tricks - Resolving random issues impacting Sonos devices.. | Sonos Community

Hi, no new apps or anything. It literally went from working last thing at night, to not working on any of the 3 voice function Sonos units in the morning.

Hi @ard2k 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If you are still having problems with this, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

Thanks Corry, I may do... Tbh Google is working for now so I might just ignore Amazon and move on with my life.