Answered

Sonos/Alexa integration

• 27 September 2017
  • 10 replies

Any news? Will Alexa work with my current SONOS speakers?
icon

Best answer by Bill_M 5 October 2017, 03:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

There is no official news, at least in the past few weeks. Only rumors. Sonos has stated that all sonos speakers will work with Alexa integration.
Amazon just announced a ton of new Echo hardware. It will be interesting to see how all this new stuff works with the Sonos integration.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mathonan/hello-alexa?utm_term=.mmpJWBo2P#.wta8Mrdxa
Since Echo is a cloud based service, not a local device, it would be stunning if it didn't all work with Sonos integration.
The announcement of these devices opens up a lot of questions as well as answer them. It's not quite clear yet exactly what the new features are, or what the limit is on these features.

I do find it interesting that they are associating specific smart home devices to specific echo devices, so you don't can just tell Alexa to turn off the light without specifying the name of the light. This is pretty much what Sonos promised with integration...you wouldn't have to name the zone you're playing music on as Alexa would already now, or have a default. I think it's safe to assume the smart device feature will carry over to smart speakers, so Alexa is essentially handling this feature.

And of course, that reinforces the idea that any perceived delays in sonos/alexa integration were not completely under the control of sonos.
So, they have the new Sonos One with built in Alexa control, but will we be able to use an Echo Dot in our home and use it with our existing Sonos set up? I'm not talking just "Alexa, play The Beatles in the Living Room", I actually want to be able to assign one of my speakers as the dedicated voice for Echo Dot.
Userlevel 1
There is a thread on Facebook with a lot of information about this topic. One thing I was disappointed to see is that, for now, there will not be support for Sonos to play Spotify, despite the fact that both services are now supported by Alexa. That will be important for me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There is a thread on Facebook with a lot of information about this topic. One thing I was disappointed to see is that, for now, there will not be support for Sonos to play Spotify, despite the fact that both services are now supported by Alexa. That will be important for me.
It's coming. Spotify won't be working with Voice on Sonos at launch, but it's on the way.

So, they have the new Sonos One with built in Alexa control, but will we be able to use an Echo Dot in our home and use it with our existing Sonos set up? I'm not talking just "Alexa, play The Beatles in the Living Room", I actually want to be able to assign one of my speakers as the dedicated voice for Echo Dot.
The Dot can issue commands like you listed there, but it will still use its own speakers for replies.
I spoke too soon - PUBLIC BETA FOR SONOS AND ALEXA USING EXISTING equipment.
I'm not really sure that I understand what you're asking. I think you want to use the Amazon/Alexa/Echo speakers as synchronized music speakers playing the same thing as the Sonos speakers. I don't believe that is possible. What you can do is use the Amazon devices as controller devices for the content on the Sonos devices. Think of it as a replacement controller app, albeit not quite a 100% replacement.
Badge
Whooo whooo! Updated (reinstalled) the Sonos app (had to delete from iPad first otherwise it kept telling me to update but there was no update available), added the Alexa skill for Sonos and bingo got my music from Amazon prime. I too really want to see the Spotify access through Alexa too. Hope it comes soon.

First pass at it says Kudos to the Sonos team!