Question

Sonos / Alexa doesn't recognize group name

• 14 November 2017
  • 5 replies

I have tried a group name called "House" the "the House" - but doesn't work. If I say "Living Room" it plays all rooms. I think maybe it is because they are already grouped on Sonos? I don't mind.. but it only plays one song then stops.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Yes you definitely have to set up different groups in order to have a play in different rooms
The Sonos system (skill) doesn't recognize the grouping set up in the Alexa app. You have to do all speaker grouping for Sonos in the Sonos app. Then you can control the group by using the verbal name of one of the rooms that is part of the group that you've set up, and all of the group will play.

For instance: I've set up a group in the Sonos app consisting of "Bathroom" and "Master Bedroom". When I get out of bed, I say "Alexa, resume in bathroom" and both the Bathroom and Bedroom speakers continue playing what they were playing before hand (music from my NAS). When I leave the room, I say "Alexa, pause in bathroom", and the music stops in both places at the same time.
Is there a way to store multiple groups in the SONOS app? I can group/regroup on the fly but haven’t seen a way to save configurations.
Kyle
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Is there a way to store multiple groups in the SONOS app? I can group/regroup on the fly but haven’t seen a way to save configurations.
Kyle

You can have multiple groups but a Sonos device may only exist within a single group. There is no way to store multiple groups or Sonos device configurations and switch between them at the group level.