Sonos, Alexa and spotify

• 4 October 2017
  • 17 replies

Very disappointed so far with voice control.
Been waiting for nearly a year and finally it's here.
But you can't voice control via alexa to play locally stored files of Spotify the no1 streaming service.
Does anyone know how long it will be before Spotify or local files will be supported?
Really surprise Sonos would release this without Spotify support, since we have all been waiting so long.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Agreed - it’s the only reason I’d ever use the voice control. I have all of my curated playlists there.

Also surprised they’d launch without Spotify considering they are far and away the most used streaming service.
Sigh. Much information can be learned by reading the announcements and the links therein. Spotify is number one on the list of things they are working on, and it has been stated it is coming "soon".
Absolutely worthless to me without Spotify. I have been waiting for the Alexa control for over a year too. I am so disappointed now.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sigh. Much information can be learned by reading the announcements and the links therein. Spotify is number one on the list of things they are working on, and it has been stated it is coming "soon".

"coming soon" could mean one month or six months. Would be nice to get a more precise answer since it wasn't included at launch.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
No Spotify?? Are you kidding me.
Hello All. Spotify is no longer part of the available music services. However when selecting the default service in the Alexa App it still appears there. Still I can play Spotify songs when I ask it to be played from my Echo dot. The issue appears in combination with sonos (TuneIn radio is working, by the way) Is this a bug to be fixed in the next beta release? It appears to be at least...
It says on website "voice control to Spotify coming later this year" 😞
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I got the following response from the sonos Twitter account last night. I’m hoping this means it will be resolved by end December:

Hi,we’re working to get Spotify support on Sonos with Amazon Alexa before the holidays. (1/2)

(2/2) You can start playback from Spotify via their app or the Sonos app and then use voice for basic playback control.
Same here, want through hell to get the spotify account activated on alexa as default, updated everything and then I would like to play spotify music and I see that it isn't possible. It says: "I Cant play music from spotify on that device"... WTF!

This is the only reason why i bought sonos and amazon alexa in the first place. I also think the advertising is quite misleading. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bARbx4I3xZY&t=45s

I hope its a matter of time, that this is finally released, because so far I think Amazon and Sonos and misleading consumers.
Badge
is there anyone who has heard when voice control + spotify will come to Canada?
is there anyone who has heard when voice control + spotify will come to Canada?

it is really up to Amazon. Sonos has stated that the Sonos skill will be available for countries that currently do not support it shortly after Amazon enables Alexa support for that country. Amazon currently does not have Alexa in French, so I would imagine that would be the holdup in Canada.
I just purchased a Amazon Dot and Sonos does specify that voice control does not work with Spotify, but I tried it anyway and the voice does control is working with my Play3 and Spotify. I can start an album, change volume level, skip track, get song title info from Alexa, etc. So far, so good - I really prefer voice control over messing w/ my phone.
How disappointed are we, should have done our homework. Can't believe that Alexa says I quote "Spotify is not supported on this device" despite the fact that it shows as connected in our Sonos AP. This fact should be made clear to all potential purchasers, we purchased purely because of this hands free music playing feature, Spotify being one of the best music streaming providers. Instead of telling us what the Sonos, Alexa marriage can do perhaps it should tell us what it cannot do.
How disappointed are we, should have done our homework. Can't believe that Alexa says I quote "Spotify is not supported on this device" despite the fact that it shows as connected in our Sonos AP. This fact should be made clear to all potential purchasers, we purchased purely because of this hands free music playing feature, Spotify being one of the best music streaming providers. Instead of telling us what the Sonos, Alexa marriage can do perhaps it should tell us what it cannot do.

To the bolded, you mean like in the official "Alexa - Now Playing on Sonos" announcement posting, stickied at the top of the page:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/alexa-now-playing-on-sonos-6791301

You can use Alexa to start playing from Amazon Music, Amazon Music Unlimited, Pandora, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, TuneIn Radio, and we’re working to bring Spotify controls in the future too.

Also, any Alexa device on your account can use basic controls, such as play, pause, volume, and skip, on your Sonos players. This works for all services and music on Sonos, started through the Sonos app.

How about this, in the "Controlling your Sonos with Amazon Alexa" FAQ:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343

Music services need to be added to both Sonos and the Alexa app. The following services are currently supported:

Amazon Music
Pandora
iHeartRadio
TuneIn Radio
SiriusXM
You can initiate playback from any service using the Sonos app, and basic playback commands, such as play/pause, volume and skip, will continue to work.

Spotify users: We’ve heard from you and are working hard to bring you the ability to ask Alexa to play Spotify music on your Sonos speakers as quickly as we can.

Or on the Sonos blog announcing the new features:

http://blog.sonos.com/en/alexa-meet-sonos/

Use your voice to cue up and control music from Amazon Music (Prime or Unlimited), TuneIn radio, Pandora, and iHeartRadio. Or start a song from Spotify, Apple Music and your other streaming services using the Sonos app. Then use voice commands to skip or replay songs, pause the music and adjust the volume.

Remember the more you use Alexa with Sonos, the better she’ll become at interpreting your voice and responding to your commands. And since Sonos and Alexa are continually updating with new features, services and skills, your music and voice options will keep getting better over time. So look out for improvements—like fully supported voice control for Spotify, coming later this year.
Badge
This is a complete shambles! I have bought a SONOS ONE specifically because I mistakenly thought that voice control was FINALLY working.... There is no drop in function either...at best a partial release.....VERY unproffessional release....seriously thinking of returning it....