Question

Sonos / Alexa - all speakers including Alexa ?

• 14 November 2017
  • 8 replies

Is there a way to have music play on Sonos and the Amazon Echo at the same time?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Not currently, and many of us think it probably wont ever be possible.
If you play from a Dot into the line-in of a Play5, S5, or ZP120 then you can use the Sonos app to group that Sonos player with your other Sonos gear and the Alexa App to group that Dot with your other Echos. There may be some minor delay issues but it does work. You will have to decide for yourself if it is good enough for your situation. Note that it is best to disable the Sonos skill when using a Dot wired directly to a Sonos player to avoid ducking issues.
Sure. The Sonos units will be in sync with each other, the Echo units will be in sync with each other, but the Sonos units won’t be in sync with the Echos.
Sure. The Sonos units will be in sync with each other, the Echo units will be in sync with each other, but the Sonos units won’t be in sync with the Echos.

True but since the Echo group is the source for everything there is only the small line-in delay between the two groups. It hasn't been that bad for me but as I said everyone needs to judge for themselves if it is workable for them or not.
Is this true? I have been operating under the assumption that the Echo was just another controller device, i.e. telling the speakers where to grab the data stream from. I wasn't assuming that it was grabbing it from the Echo devices, but directly from an online source. Would love some schooling on this.
When controlled wirelessly from Alexa, the stream is indeed direct from the online source.
When controlled wirelessly from Alexa, the stream is indeed direct from the online source.

Correct. My example was of a Dot as the source wired to the line-in on a Sonos device with the Sonos skill disabled. That is the only way to sync everything by using both Sonos groups and Alexa groups.
I wish they would fix this!!