Songs repeat on Pandora/Echo

When I use Pandora via my Echo Show 5, each song repeats once.  It doesn't happen with Alexa by itself, only when using Echo, or so I thought.  I've think what is happening is both the Alexa app and Echo are trying to control the speakers, so one is repeating the other. I remedied the problem (touch wood) by saying, "Alexa, stop," which stopped all music.  I changed the wake word on Echo from Alexa to Echo, so that the Alexa App and Echo don't both respond when I command one.  I restarted Pandora using Echo, and now playback is back to only once per song. I've seen two threads about this.  Both have been closed for comments, but Sonos indicated they'd look into the problem and then update the thread/s.  That was a year ago and, from what I can tell, no solution was ever posted.  I'm not sure if my discovery is a permanent fix, or a fix at all for that matter, but I thought it might give users somewhere to start and Sonos some idea as to what to investigate.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Michael&Tracey 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I can’t say that I’m aware of that particular issue, but thank you for sharing the steps you took to resolve it.

One point - you don’t mention Sonos at all until you say we should fix things. When you say “Alexa”, do you mean “Alexa on a Sonos device”, whereas “Echo” is Amazon’s device?

I mentioned Sonos as regards to fixing the problem based on Sonos' response on the other two threads on this subject from a year ago.  It's unclear if it's Alexa on the speakers, on my phone, or both, as both have to be open in order to operate the speakers via Echo.  In any case, the problem hasn't occurred since my "fix.". Hope that's helpful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Michael&Tracey 

Now I am confused - you don’t need Alexa installed on a Sonos-speaker-with-voice-support or have the Alexa app open in order to tell your Echo to play music on Sonos - you just need the Sonos Skill for Alexa installed on Alexa. Using the Alexa app, disabling this skill and enabling it again can often fix issues. If that doesn’t help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

However, if you’re happy with things as they are now then don’t worry about me not getting it. But it doesn’t sound right to me.