So..it's been almost a year since the announcement. Alexa integration guys?

I'm totally cool with you taking time to get it right. But it was August of last year you announced Alexa integration. I've had an Echo for a while and honestly it is easier to tell it to play something, even if the sound is inferior to my play:5.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

47 replies

Which claim are you referring to exactly, jgatie?
Somewhat of an aside, but I don't really care for the idea of having all my speakers having voice assistant mics on them. One mic per room is the way to go, while I want multiple speakers.

With virtually everyone walking around with a smartphone (or smartwatches, alternatively) in their pocket these days I am actually hoping for a concept where your phone's mic is being used as the main voice recognition interface. Just speculating, it would come handy though.
Somewhat of an aside, but I don't really care for the idea of having all my speakers having voice assistant mics on them. One mic per room is the way to go, while I want multiple speakers.

With virtually everyone walking around with a smartphone (or smartwatches, alternatively) in their pocket these days I am actually hoping for a concept where your phone's mic is being used as the main voice recognition interface. Just speculating, it would come handy though.

A big part of the appeal of Echo's and the like, for me anyway, is that I don't have to pick anything up or push any buttons before I give my voice command. I don't want my phone to be always on me. As well, I want my kids and guests to be able to utilize voice commands without me handing over a phone or tablet to them.
Which claim are you referring to exactly, jgatie?

I thought I spelled it out quite clearly; the claim you are a former employee of Sonos and Amazon. I find those claims a crock, and demand proof.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
with the news/rumors that amazon will soon release a skill for echo multi room function, I thinking / hoping Sonos will also release the much awaited Amazon/Sonos integration.....
Aye. Then we shall wait for Sonos to verify these claims.
Aye. Then we shall wait for Sonos to verify these claims.

I won't be holding my breath.
[quote=jgatie]

Though I'm not too shabby at static apnoe diving I wouldn't. ;)
There are ways to identify me through my registered email address, which is also used to manage my own Sonos system.
But frankly I believe Sonos support has other things to do.
[quote=jgatie]

Though I'm not too shabby at static apnoe diving I wouldn't. ;)
There are ways to identify me through my registered email address, which is also used to manage my own Sonos system.
But frankly I believe Sonos support has other things to do.
Double post, apologies.
CasaTunes took the cheap and clunky route, using an Alexa skill. "Alexa, ask CasaTunes to...". That will get old very, very quickly. Sonos' deep integration is taking a good while, but will be far less clunky to use.

I'm placing bets on an Aug 30th rollout, at least in public beta; one year post-announcement. Any takers?

http://www.cepro.com/article/casatunes_voice_control_amazon_alexa
CasaTunes took the cheap and clunky route, using an Alexa skill. "Alexa, ask CasaTunes to...". That will get old very, very quickly. Sonos' deep integration is taking a good while, but will be far less clunky to use.

I'm placing bets on an Aug 30th rollout, at least in public beta; one year post-announcement. Any takers?

I'm thinking the release will be early November, for marketing reasons. A late summer release won't still any thunder from Apple's homepod release.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I think you're off by two days. 🙂 My bet is on Monday 8/28, the first business day after the short-term confidentiality is lifted on whatever Sonos product was submitted to the FCC back in April. They'll announce that new product, whatever it may be, and hopefully we'll at least get an update, if not some beta or release, of the Alexa functionality.
Near field mic, the size of a Boost maybe? 🆒
Sorry for the multiple posts. Crazy forum software kept throwing errors.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Sorry for the multiple posts. Crazy forum software kept throwing errors.
And here I thought it was because you really, really, really, really wanted to express your disapproval of CasaTunes. Lol
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

We have to be careful not to oversimplify what is being done by these voice control devices.

Not only is there a question of the quality of the microphone (Echo's have 7 mics for a reason), but the variety of the built-in microphones vary so much that it's actually quite tricky.

Eventually, the technology will probably get there, but it's probably not right around the corner just yet.
I wonder how well integrated the Alexa Voice Remote will be? Will the hard buttons control Sonos when the stream is being pulled directly to a Sonos device? I would guess so, since voice control will have all the same functionality. $30 for a remote with push button voice, for rooms where the Dot can't hear you...

https://www.amazon.com/Alexa-Voice-Remote-Amazon-Echo/dp/B01E9AHU8Q
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
https://www.cnet.com/news/sonos-lays-out-terms-for-voice-control-ahead-of-alexa-skill/