Sleepsounds. Alexa goes silent.

• 2 November 2017
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hey folks!

I will add my voice (pun intended) to the frustrations with the new Sonos Play 1 with Alexa. It is such a hodge podge of what is supported, what is not, what is known broken, etc.

Read the forums and I so agree that a known issues sticked post from Sonos would be great.

Here is the core reason for this post, but, I will list some others below.

I saw a few mention sleep sound problems but they were wedged into other posts, so, I decided to make one on its own.

My Sonos Play 1 is in my bedroom. I was really really looking forward to sleep sounds.

I rattled off so many installed skills. Alexa acknowledges them says she is going to play them then goes silent.

I was looking through the app and naming specific things from specific skills. No luck.

However. Sometimes with for example of the guided meditation skill it played the music but there was absolutely no voice guidance where there would be with my Echo Dot.

I would really like to find out if these are supported or not. If not, then the purchase of this device for my bedroom might not have been the smartest decision.

Sonos says this device is skills enabled, so, hoping this is simply a bug.

As for other things I sympathy chuckled when I read people not being able to communicate with Alexa. Mine is quite the opposite. Any conversation in my bedroom Alexa is more than happy to chime in and try to figure out what we were asking her (which we were not)

Also, the variation on which music service is supported by voice or only by app is a bummer and I wish it was detailed and explained a little more effectively.

Add my name to the list wanting flash briefing but know Sonos has mentioned many times here they are working on it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I am having all of these same issues. I figured the Alexa aspect would be more out of beta than it is, because almost none of the skills work for me. 😞
Userlevel 1
Badge
I wanted to update this thread. I heard back from Sonos that this issue has been identified and replicated but they are saying it's up to Amazon to code the skills to the Sonos API set and Sonos hopes that will happen sometime in 2018.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Also! I should point out I was backwards in my initial post. On some apps such a guided meditation you hear Alexa introduce the skill in her own voice and even says "here we go" However, no audio plays after that.

I also initiated a chat with Amazon tonight and it's with a grain of salt that I say after being put on chat hold for a bit I was told they are well aware of the problem, there are multiple notes about if for the technical team about it and they are more optimistic about the timeline than Sonos is.

We will see 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge
I chatted with someone on the Alexa team last night once I got the update from Sonos. I was notified today that the timeline to fix third party audio for Sonos is now early to mid January.

Here is hoping that is indeed the case.
I chatted with someone on the Alexa team last night once I got the update from Sonos. I was notified today that the timeline to fix third party audio for Sonos is now early to mid January.

Here is hoping that is indeed the case.

Wow good info! I wish sonos was more transparent about this somewhere like a known issue page. And they should reply to this thread!
I just received 2 Sonos Ones today. Been testing it out and ran into the same problem mentioned here. Any updates on the solution? @Sonos