Answered

Sleep Timer using Alexa - not working with Sonos One

• 31 October 2017
  • 63 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

I find this issue frustrating as well. I was trying to automate a nighttime routine. I can use IFTTT to push a button on my watch and start my preferred music on my Sonos, but I’ve found no way to get it to turn off without going into the app and setting a sleep timer every night. This is very disappointing. Since Logitech Harmony can access a lot of Sonos functionality, but not the sleep timer, I’m hoping that could be resolved as well?
Is there any updates to this issue, it's a real pain to have to do it in the Sonos app as Alexa doesn't work with it for the timer, found out when my music was playing at midnight...
Userlevel 3
Noticed the same issue. Hoping this can be sorted out soon! Had to set up my Echo Dot which I had planned to replace with the Sonos One in order to play music to fall asleep too. 😕
Userlevel 2
Badge
Any news on this? You said 2 months ago that this was high up on the list to be resolved soon. Just frustrating that there’s so many little things like this and Alexa. You really shouldn’t have released Sonos with Alexa until it was actually any good!

Yes, I can turn off the microphone and use my Dot but defeats the point of having a single unit to do both things.
Just noticed this issue too. Very annoying but glad to hear it's high on the priority list. I. Sure it takes coordination between teams on both sides of the corporate table, which is a plausible reason for delay. But Ryan, we'd greatly appreciate a timeframe for a solution , whenever you're able to provide it. Under sell, over deliver 😉
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hi, the Sonos One should be able to set sleep timers, we're looking into some trouble right now with them not working. Thanks for reaching out and asking. We'll be getting them up and running as soon as we can.It's now 3 months since you said this was getting fixed, and you've repeated that several times since. What is happening?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
So, silence from Sonos on when this feature, broken from the start, will be fixed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi dasym, I'll reach out to the team again to make sure it's still high on their list. I don't have any specifics today but I'll let you know when it's resolved.
Badge +1
I have the same need for this feature.
I guess it was a mistake to assume that "Alexa" was being built in, I expected to be able to use all the same commands as I could with the Echo... 😞
Also wanting this feature to work properly badly. Having to set from the Sonos app instead of asking Alexa for it
Userlevel 1
Badge
Adding my voice here. Very disappointed something as simple as a sleep timer will not work on the Sonos One via voice control.

I see in previous messages that this is a high priority issue for Sonos. Since it has been 3 months with no resolution, this is either not true, or there is a serious technical issue preventing it from working.

I’m having a few other issues with the Sonos One. Audible doesn’t work, Alexa’s voice changes volume, among a few smaller issues. All is not well. I still have time to return this product, and I will, if the issues I and others are having are not resolved.
Any updates Ryan? It’s been 4 months. Thx.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
This is indeed disapointing, our Ones are in the bedroom and sleeptimer was something we were looking for, the fact that alexa is limited on the Sonos One was not clearly mentionned. The way things are now, a dot with 2 play-1 would have been better for us. Some road-map should be available so users can see what is being worked on and coming. Hope Sonos will be providing everyone with info that will help everyone wait....
What is happening with this??? It’s a joke that the sleep timer didn’t work when the one was released. Got the one for the bedroom and it needs the sleep timer to work from Alexa. How come lots of smart speakers 1/4 of the price can do this fine and yours can’t??
Throwing my +1 on this...hope it gets resolved soon. It feels like quite the oversight and it’s shocking that four months have passed without a fix.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
It would be nice if Sonos provided us with a ‘’road-map’’ of what’s coming, maybe if enough of us ask for it , they will. We still like our ones and alexa will probably get better as time goes by, our daughter got one for her bedroom and really likes it, she likes the fact that it is ‘’loud’’ and can turn on and off her lamp through a wemo.
I’ve been following this thread for almost 5 months. I am an IT professional who can’t believe this is taking so long! I’ve invested quite a bit of money in Sonos devices and really did feel like this was going to be a quick fix, yet nothing, not even some honesty! Hum... wonder how much longer they can keep this up without loosing customers - I’m certainly reconsidering!
Hello Ryan S, you have tried to keep us updated. I know you may be in a tough spot. But all of us Sonos owners just want to know what is actually going on. Just please be honest with us. Please give us updates on this issue.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
5 months of promises seems unreasonable. When can we expect the sleep feature to be available?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Still waiting to hear when this basic feature, that even the Sonos rep thought was included from the start in the Sonos One, is going to be provided.
I too wish to add my +1 to this issue. I bought the Sonos One (my first ever Sonos product), on the basis that it came with Alexa built in. My experience so far has been pretty disappointing compared to if I had purchased a Play and a dedicated Echo.
As others have requested, could we please get some visibility on the roadmap and when Sonos expects to have Alexa fully working?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, exciting news for you all. We've been working with the Alexa team on this one and as of a cloud update today the Sleep Timer function for Alexa on the Sonos One is now working as expected. You should hear the proper response, and music playing on the Sonos One from Audible, Amazon Music, Pandora, Deezer, TuneIn, or iHeartRadio should stop at the expected time.
Did not work last night with tunein, continued to play even if it confirmed 1 hour sleep timer
Did not work for the last two nights. Using spotify and I have a confirmation that the sleep timer is set but keep waking up at 4am with the music still playing!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Did not work for the last two nights. Using spotify and I have a confirmation that the sleep timer is set but keep waking up at 4am with the music still playing!
We're still working to get the Sleep Timer working with Spotify, Th other services listed above should work fine for it however.

Did not work last night with tunein, continued to play even if it confirmed 1 hour sleep timer
I know Alexa had some trouble the other day, but it should be working for TuneIn, let us know if this happens again, and if you can submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number it'd be great.