Question

self-added stations (via URL) and Alexa

• 25 November 2017
  • 1 reply

I subscribe to Digital Interactive / Radiotunes and have added (using Manage > Add Radio Station) those streams (each with a unique URL that includes my paid subscription identifier) to my Sonos as "added radio station". In the Sonos UI, they show up under "Radio by TuneIn" even though they are not actually TuneIn stations.

Now it would be nice if I could get Alexa to select those stations. I have been trying to give the stations unique names that don't match anything else in my library or any real station ("rhubarb soap" etc.) but apparently since these are not real TuneIn stations they are not found via the Alexa search interface.

There needs to be a Sonos interface so that stations that have been added by the user directly can be selected via Alexa. If that means taking these added stations out of the TuneIn tab, then that might even reduce the confusion.

Please, Sonos, please!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I know your question/request is about having Alexa play custom defined radio stations in TuneIn, but since your main objective is asking Alexa to play Digitally Imported/RadioTunes channels, you might want to enable this custom Alexa skill called OmniRadio. You can say stuff like "Alexa, ask omni radio to play Trance.", she'll reply with "You're listening to Trance on DI.FM" and start playing the channel. It allows you to listen to 300+ channels from DI.FM, RadioTunes, ROCKRADIO, JAZZRADIO and ClassicalRadio.