Answered

Requesting music in one room from alexa stops music in other rooms.

• 6 December 2017
  • 5 replies

When i ask alexa to play music in one room in my house she stops music playing in other rooms with sonos ones.
Music is played via spotify. Its driving me mad. Any suggestions anyone?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 18 November 2018, 17:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Starlord

Just in case you didn't get your question sorted (assuming you are speaking about your Sonos One)

If you are trying to group rooms_hold down the play/pause (>|=) button on the speaker you are try to bring the music to. If a stereo pair it doesn't matter which speaker you approach.

If you are trying to play jazz in the bed room, rock in the kitchen and Spotify in the family room_ commands are:

Alexa, play jazz on bedroom then Alexa, play rock on Kitchen then Alexa, play spotify on family room

Cheers!
Userlevel 2
I can confirm the same happens to me with Alexa, Spotify and Sonos.
AjTrek1 your suggestion doesn’t help. This just tells us how to send music to different rooms.
But like the original post says, I experience the same problem that Alexa will stop other rooms playing spotify music when you ask her to play something in another room.

This only happens using Spotify. And only when using Alexa.
So if I use Spotify with Sonos I can have each room playing different music.
If I use Alexa and amazon music - it also works.

But if I set Alexa to use Spotify for music, and tell her to play something in room 1, then room 2 - it will stop the music in room 1.

This is insane and very annoying!
I play baby Einstein for my son when he is sleeping and when I put some music for us to chill it stops his music.

I think this is the Spotify problem again that limits only one device to play at a time, which Sonos was exempted from - and I guess Alexa is not.

Fix it please! Otherwise the Alexa Sonos feature is unusable!
Userlevel 2
I am also having this issue and it very annoying....
I have a premium family account and one account dedicated to my sonos system (16 zones)

If I ask alexa to play X in the kitchen it will stop any other zone that I have started through an Alexa voice command
If I have started music in a zone through the sonos app, (even if this music is also from spotify.) then this zone remains unaffected...

any solutions ?
Unfortunately, Spotify on Alexa is limited to one stream per device, and it sees Sonos as a single device. You can start multiple streams via the Sonos app and use Alexa to pause, skip, volume control etc., but that is not of much help. Until Spotify/Amazon fixes it, there is nothing we can do.
I have the same issue. It also appears that the only way to play amazon music is via alexa voice control. I have some old play 3's that I use the sonos app to control but amaozon music unlimited is not available in sonos in Australia. so I have to have two music subscriptions to get the most out of my sonos system? Spotify for the older sonos and amazon for the newer?