Answered

remote access with Alexa

• 6 October 2017
  • 1 reply

now that Alexa public beta is here, can sonos be accessed / controlled remotely outside its wifi network range using the alexa app?
only reason i want this is we have a multi room set up with 5 sonos zones in our vacation rental home and would like to be able to control remotely
thx
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 6 October 2017, 17:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Yes and No. The Sonos speakers are setup as speakers in the Alexa app, and there is some limited control there. I've also used the Amazon Music App (which is Alexa enabled) to control the sonos speakers by voice. However, as many of the threads in this forum will tell you, there are many things you can't do through Alexa, like grouping zones for example.

That said, I think this is good progress. One of the things Sonos had to do was enable control of your system through what is effectively the 'sonos cloud'. Perhaps one day, the Sonos app will be able to access the Sonos cloud directly, without Alexa, and you will be able to remotely controlly that way.

It should also be mentioned that there are 3rd party smart home products that have some control over Sonos without begin in your wifi network as well.