Question

Recommended guidance for Alexa config for configuring a pair of Sonos Ones in stereo

• 2 November 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi there! So I'm thinking about getting a 2nd Sonos One to create a stereo pair. And of course configure Alexa integration.

Can someone comment on what happens with the Alexa integration with respect to how the microphones will work in that situation? Would the microphone and voice playback take precedence on one speaker? Or would the microphone need to be disabled on one of the speakers?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

There's been a post or two where some user has suggested it made sense to turn off one microphone, but according to a post by Ryan S several weeks ago, they're supposed to act in the same fashion as an Echo set of devices do, i.e. the one that perceives it is closer to the person speaking the command is the one that should respond. But since you can turn off the microphones, there's no reason not to set it up yourself, and see what works for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As Bruce said, the two go through arbitration when you say Alexa and the one that hears best will respond. You should be able to stand in the middle of the room and turn to face either of the two Sonos Ones and have the right one pick you up each time.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I added another One to make a stereo pair... Sounds pretty good.

There is nothing to configure Alexa wise, other than creating the stereo pair under "Manage >Settings" in the Alexa app.

Only one One will respond when you call Alexa, but both will lower their volume level.

If you set an alarm, the alarm will sound only on the One that responded to the wake up, not from both.

If you have music playing, it will lower the volume on both when the alarm sounds.

You can only cancel the alarm from the One that picked up the alarm request.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Having two Ones is a bonus from the Alexa side of things too, as two sets of mics is better than one.

Which ever One responds to the Alexa wake word when you call it, will be the only One that responds to you and answers questions etc.. but obviously music will come from both.

I, as others have, find the sensitivity of the One mics to be pretty poor in picking up the Alexa wake word. This has improved since adding the second One, as it has widened the pick up area, and whichever One you are closest to will respond,, so definitely keep both mics active.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks all. This is good info. Sounds like some good product design thought went into this config. One less excuse to go splurge some more... 😃