Answered

Problems using Alexa with music library

• 27 November 2017
  • 6 replies

Just purchased Sonos One and Alexa working well with radio and Amazon Music. But Alexa can't find a specific artist from the music library though I can play the artists through the Sonos from the library on the Sonos app. I loaded the music library from Windows PC using the load 'music file' instruction and it has copied all in C: Music\iTunes.
I have tried copying individual artist files from the iTunes file on my PC to the music library but I get an error message saying that my PC refused Sonos to connect to it (even though the music file was copied!).
Where am I going wrong?
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 27 November 2017, 16:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi LynnH

Alexa (nor Google Assistant for that matter) support the control of local music libraries via Voice Control at present. You have two options:

1/ Start the audio from the app and then control via voice control;
2/ Or, load your music library into the cloud (e.g. Amazon cloud) for an annual fee.
So it's just an Alexa or Google issue?
I ran into the same issue. I have a local music library which is perfectly tagged and I can't use it. The mentioned options are workarounds but unfortunately no solutions. Would be really nice to get this feature!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So it's just an Alexa or Google issue?
I ran into the same issue. I have a local music library which is perfectly tagged and I can't use it. The mentioned options are workarounds but unfortunately no solutions. Would be really nice to get this feature!

Correct but I'll be surprised if this is addressed as the direction is more and more towards streaming.

Correct but I'll be surprised if this is addressed as the direction is more and more towards streaming.

You are right. I don't have much hope...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
And Amazon have just announced that they will be withdrawing the ability to load your music into their cloud in early 2018.

https://betanews.com/2017/12/21/amazon-stops-music-uploads/
"Alexa, please turn yourself off!" As long as I can use the Sonos app this should work. And it's cheaper to buy Play 1 models (if you don't "need" other Alexa stuff) 😉