Answered

Playlists not available as a voice command?

• 5 October 2017
  • 8 replies

Looking at the voice commands for Alexa and Sonos, it doesn't appear that I can "Alexa, play in the living room".
icon

Best answer by jgatie 5 October 2017, 02:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Local music is not fully supported yet, though you can initiate play from the Sonos app then control play, stop, skip, volume, etc. via voice controls. See the threads in the Announcements section for more info, they explictly state what is and is not supported
Thanks for the clarification. I realize everyone is going to use alexa with sonos differently. For our family, we listen to playlists most of the time. Rarely listen by song or artist.
Local music is not fully supported yet, though you can initiate play from the Sonos app then control play, stop, skip, volume, etc. via voice controls. See the threads in the Announcements section for more info, they explictly state what is and is not supported I just re read your comments. I am not looking at playing local music playlists on my device. I am referring to playing playlist from Amazon music. I am sure they will have the availability to recognize playlist soon, or it could take years...like the echo integration.
Playlists on Amazon are supported. Try "Alexa, play playlist (playlist name) in (room name)."
Thanks jgatie! I was saying the word playlist after the name of the playlist. Like "Alexa, play Road trip playlist in living room. Which doesn't work. I'm glad you clarified that for me.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Alexa can sometimes be really picky about the specific way commands are issued. Good tip.
Hmm... I wonder why this doesn't work for me? So I'm doing "Alexa, play playlist ALISON in FAMILY ROOM" and I get "I don't see the playlist ALISON in FAMILY ROOM" as the response, yet "ALISON" is a playlist in my Amazon Music account. If I try it with my own "Alexa, play playlist MATTHEW in FAMILY ROOM" I instead have it start playing a Dave Matthew playlist from Amazon Music that is not even mine. 😞
Wow talk about *picky* - I made this work by renaming my playlists, so "Alison" became "Alison Personal" and "Matthew" became "Matthew Personal". The weird part is looking that Alexa log, it was plainly getting the text right - not sure why it couldn't do this with the shorter playlist names.