Answered

Playing the waiting game

• 11 October 2018
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 33 replies
Can we have an honest answer here guys. The sonos one has been out now for a year, some new features added to appease some users.

Some of us though have been patiently waiting for our sonos one with alexa to get up to speed. Issues such as napster integration, ducking, apple music, local files playback, multi room, calling, routines etc just seem to be forgotten about.

We get the fact that sonos wont/cant give road map timescales but snippets like we are working on this or this has been discussed with whoever would certainly help.

I feel sorry for alexa in my house, i ask it to do something, it cant, it then gets told its rubbish and gets switched off immediately. Right now, my opinion is the sonos one was a waste of money linked to ridiculous hype.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 12 October 2018, 19:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Can we have an honest answer here guys. The sonos one has been out now for a year, some new features added to appease some users.

Who is the 'we' you're referring to?

Some of us though have been patiently waiting for our sonos one with alexa to get up to speed. Issues such as napster integration, ducking, apple music, local files playback, multi room, calling, routines etc just seem to be forgotten about.

Sonos has never promised many of the features, or suggested that they would ever be implemented. Sonos really doesn't have any control over a lot if not most of this, and are not available even on Echos.

We get the fact that sonos wont/cant give road map timescales but snippets like we are working on this or this has been discussed with whoever would certainly help.

I feel sorry for alexa in my house, i ask it to do something, it cant, it then gets told its rubbish and gets switched off immediately. Right now, my opinion is the sonos one was a waste of money linked to ridiculous hype.

Where did the hype originate from? Sonos never promised you these things.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Who is the 'we' you're referring to?

Sonos has never promised many of the features, or suggested that they would ever be implemented. Sonos really doesn't have any control over a lot if not most of this, and are not available even on Echos.

Where did the hype originate from? Sonos never promised you these things.

Obviously the we is everyone who has posted asking for any features to be added and given the standard reply of its been added to the list for the devs.
You will not get any answers. Sonos release what they release, and they announce what they announce. In the 10 years I've been here, I've never seen them give in to any "or the bunny gets it" types of pleas to be more open.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Best way to un-motivate other users or a support tech to help you: Make "or the bunny gets it" comments.

But if you really have to take that road this might help: https://memegenerator.net/Or-The-Bunny-Gets-It
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Best way to un-motivate other users or a support tech to help you: Make "or the bunny gets it" comments.

But if you really have to take that road this might help: https://memegenerator.net/Or-The-Bunny-Gets-It

Do you want to show me where the "or the bunny gets it" reference is?
Con Air. The archetypal empty threat. Google it. Not sure there is a threat on this thread though
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
There was certainly no threat from me on this thread john b. A valid question was raised, no throwing the dummy out or taking my ball back. I gave an opinion on the alexa side of my play one being a waste of money, didnt need to mention my other sonos speakers are perfect.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Generally speaking, we don't talk about what's being worked on or the timelines as sometimes things will slip, or a feature we were implementing hits a roadblock with no way around. For example, if we were working with a partner than backs out, or if there's a technical issue that simply can't be resolved currently.

There are some things on your list that are actively being worked on, and some that aren't. (Sorry, no spoilers 🙂 )

As to ducking, the Sonos One and Beam have basically what we consider to be the ideal ducking situation. Only the room that those players are part of will duck when you speak to them. If you have a Sonos One grouped with 5 other Sonos rooms around the house, only the One will duck. If you have a stereo pair of Sonos Ones, both will duck, because they're in the same "room".

The main feedback we've gotten around ducking is being able to tell your system which Amazon Echo devices are in what room so that only those Sonos players will duck. Which is a bigger issue with larger systems, or where you have non-voice controlled Sonos players working with Amazon Echo devices. This is one place where we've said that we're looking to make improvements, but don't have any specifics to share on it.

I'll make sure to add your name to the list of these requests so the team knows you're looking for them.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Generally speaking, we don't talk about what's being worked on or the timelines as sometimes things will slip, or a feature we were implementing hits a roadblock with no way around. For example, if we were working with a partner than backs out, or if there's a technical issue that simply can't be resolved currently.

There are some things on your list that are actively being worked on, and some that aren't. (Sorry, no spoilers 🙂 )

Thankyou very much Ryan, your answer goes a long way without being specific and that is fine by me. Its the unqualified and pointless answers from certain people which we could do without. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
My team makes sure to read everything and we share with the development teams too, but we can't reply everywhere. The community members often have the right answers, and we love seeing them jump in and help out. They really are just trying to be helpful, and are pretty qualified to report on some things even if not official representatives.

Wish I could give you a more solid answer, but I'll be happy to make announcements in the future when there are some to make. Stay tuned! 🙂