Playing Alexa Skills through Sonos

• 6 October 2017
  • 10 replies

So we're all thrilled to finally have this connectivity between Sonos and Alexa. A question: when I ask Alexa to do a skill that requires playback (like "Alexa, play my Flash Briefing") can this playback happen through Sonos speakers? If so, how do activate this? Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

No. The Sonos plays music only, all other interactions are through the Alexa device. Of course with the new Sonos One, the Sonos device is the Alexa device.
The only way to do this is to if the line out on an echo device is the line in on an sonos device, which has it's own downside.

On the sonos one, it seems like it kind of has two modes to it, where it acts like a sonos device and then where it acts like an alexa device. For example, you can pair a sonos one with an other sonos one, it will play music in stereo, however, Alexa will only speak to you from the one speaker at a time...not in stereo. Similarly, if you grouped your sonos one with a play 3 in another room for example, music will play on both, but Alexa won't speak through the play 3, only the sonos one you were talking to.
I would really like to be able to listen to my flash briefing in the kitchen in the morning. Would love to see this capability added-
I would also like to see this. As Sonos is a better speaker, I would like to be able to pair each dot device with the appropriate speaker (similar workflow to pairing to a fire tv) and have all audio route to that paired speaker by default unless I ask for a different room (i.e. “Alexa, play my flash briefing in the Kitchen”)
This is a bummer.
Just bought a sonos play:1 and a dot this christmas, but then realizing that other than "controlling" the other alexa cannot do much at all. And not even the "control" is sufficient. It cannot play from the local library or services alexa doesn't know.
I really like the sound of the sonos, but i wonder if i wouldnt have been better off with a full size echo to play my sleeping sounds in the bedroom. Especially because i cannot turn the sonos volume far enough down.
The Echo also will only play services that Alexa knows.

Does asking Alexa to set Sonos volume on 1 not take it down low enough?
Yea, but the echo can play its "services" like sleep-help-sounds on its own better speaker. Just like the Sonos One does i assume.

When i tell alexa to set the volume to 1 on sonos, it is even higher than the lowest i can get when i use the sonos controls itself, which is then still too loud. but this is complained much about in a different thread i found yesterday. The lowest volume is just not low enough :)

There are some options for the first problem: buy a play:5 and use 3.5 connector or one of the connect devices or a sonos one. But i decided not to buy a sonos one because the reviews said alot about issues with the speach recognition. The other devices are just too expensive.

Who would have guessed, that the sonos play:1 doesnt even have a line in 😕
I would also like Alexa skills like flash briefing to come through my sonos speaker... hopefully it's possible soon with an update....
I too would really like this feature and was, quite frankly, surprised it does not work. My question is what - technically speaking - is stopping this from being possible? I hope to be able to have Alexa play my flash briefing or other skills through my Sonos Play:1 or other Sonos speakers on my system after properly connecting them in the Sonos app. Does this seem doable through a software update on either end?
What I’ve been doing is connecting a Bluetooth speaker to my dot and taking it to my location of choice (next to a play1). The echo dot’s Bluetooth coverage is phenomenal. Wish the mic on my speaker connected to Alexa :? I have to walk to my dot to avoid a life of screaming.