Answered

Play1 or Sonos One?

• 25 April 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7
In Canada. I want to add a single speaker to my existing setup. My current setup includes playbar, sub, play1's in LR and 2 play1's in kitchen with an Echo in an area between both rooms that I can use to control the speaker mute, volume, etc. Sirius is my primary music service. Echo is tied to a US account because of poor skill amount in Canada. Area I want to add a speaker to too far away to use the Echo. My options are add a Play1 with a Dot or a Sonos One. Are there any restrictions/difference between the Sonos One and the echo or dot relating to the Alexa functions?
icon

Best answer by shoturtle 25 April 2018, 19:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Not sure if you experience any ducking issues with the echo dot. But sound wise it is moot, they are almost the same. The dot will support drop in, while the sonos one does not. The Sonos one does not make calls like a dot can. So you do not get all the alexa featurs with a sonos one. But it seems sonos has improved on the mic sensitivity on the last update, which was not that good compare to the amazon offering before. So if getting all the alexa feature is what you want, play 1 and a dot is a better option.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Not sure if you experience any ducking issues with the echo dot. But sound wise it is moot, they are almost the same. The dot will support drop in, while the sonos one does not. The Sonos one does not make calls like a dot can. So you do not get all the alexa featurs with a sonos one. But it seems sonos has improved on the mic sensitivity on the last update, which was not that good compare to the amazon offering before.

Yes I have ducking with the Echo, but it's not an issue. Right now I have my Sirius (Canada) account setup in the Sonos app. I can only control the volume, pause and resume with Alexa on the Echo as it is US reg and requires US Sirius account. What want to be sure of is that I will be able to stream my Sirius account on the Sonos One as I do on my Play1. I can live without Alexa control until they add a Sirius skill to the Canadian side and I'm able to setup with my Sirius Canada account.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Well if you get a sonos one in Canada, you should be able to get all the Sirius function form the Canadian account, if there is a Sirius skill for alexa in Canada. I do not think Sonos has reginonal lock like the echo's though. So not sure how that will work to be honest.

Regional lock is one reason I gave up on Alexa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The only real difference between the two set-ups you are considering, over and above the points shoturtle has already mentioned, is that with the Sonos One you don't need to specify the room name in each command. e.g. If this was in the kitchen then a Sonos One command would be 'Alexa, play soft jazz'. On a Play:1 and Echo Dot combination (I use the naming standard Room Name + Device Type i.e. Kitchen Echo Dot, Kitchen Sonos) the command would be 'Alexa, Play soft jazz on Kitchen Sonos'