Question

Play Music on Alexa Echo and Sonos One, Simultaneously?

• 21 September 2022
  • 5 replies

My Amazon Echo Show and Dot both are able to play music on my Sonos One. But when I attempt to join them together, the Alexa app says the Sonos is not compatible. Surely by now this should have been sorted.

Any help appreciated.

Asking in hope.

5 replies

Unfortunately, this is not possible. 

Userlevel 7

Unfortunately, this is not possible. 

On top of @Airgetlam’s answer….let’s add that Sonos pays a licensing fee to Amazon and not the other way around. 

Didn’t want to get into the blame game, but as far as I’m aware, this is a choice by both Amazon and Google, not to allow third party (read: Sonos) speakers to synchronize with their own hardware. My suspicious nature suggests that this is an effort to maintain the sales of their own hardware, at the expense of users who have multiple manufacturer’s devices. But I could be wrong there, and it’s also possible that it’s just an issues with the push/pull nature of the two devices, operating in very different “worlds”. 

Didn’t want to get into the blame game, but as far as I’m aware, this is a choice by both Amazon and Google, not to allow third party (read: Sonos) speakers to synchronize with their own hardware. My suspicious nature suggests that this is an effort to maintain the sales of their own hardware, at the expense of users who have multiple manufacturer’s devices. But I could be wrong there, and it’s also possible that it’s just an issues with the push/pull nature of the two devices, operating in very different “worlds”. 

I think Amazon, not sure on Google, allows 3rd party hardware to sync, but that hardware has to be single devices that only work with Amazon’s multiroom streaming platform, not part of a separate platfform the way Sonos is.   I’m not saying that Sonos would definitely be on board if Amazon allowed it, but Sonos does work with airplay.

I think it appears that all multiroom audio is the same, and speakers from different brands should just work together with little effort.  It’s just not the simple though, and Amazon and Sonos multiroom audio have quite a few differences that would be quite challenging to properly integrate.

Thank you all for your input.

Thought the status quo would be an ongoing thing.