Play 5 with Amazon Echo Dot

• 29 June 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge
Hey all - I'm new to Sonos and am happily switching from a Bose SoundTouch system to Sonos (I hope). So far I only have a Play:5 (gen 2) and Play:1 (gen 2). My goal is to have all Sonos speakers always-on and use Alexa, either via the Play:1 (gen 2) Alexa integration (which works great) or an Echo Dog plugged into the Play:5 via the line in.

I hope I'm simply missing something, but when I tell the Echo Dot to play something, it seems to do its thing, but I have to use the Sonos App to turn the Play:5 on each time I do this. The Play:1 (gen 2) has Alexa built in, and IS always on, just how I want it.

Is my issue with the Play:5 standard and can I not leave it always on, or am I simply missing a configuration?

Thank you!

Brian

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Hi, and welcome.

The speaker with Voice control capability is a Sonos One; the Play:1 is a different (but very similar) model.

Both speakers, and all Sonos speakers, are always On.

When you use the Dot or the 5, do you say the room name for the 5? Eg “play the Beatles on Lounge” ?