Answered

Philips Hue bluetooth + Sonos One + Alexa ?

• 29 March 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

The Philips Hue Bluetooth claims to work without the Hue Bridge and you can use Alexa or Google Assistant.

So how does this connect to the Sonos One 2nd Gen. ?

I know the Sonos One 2nd Gen. has bluetooth in it.

So how can you control these bluetooth lights with Alexa without using the hue bridge ?

Thanks in advance,

Soxbrother

icon

Best answer by John B 29 March 2020, 12:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The Sonos One does not have Bluetooth (exceptforBLE for setup). The only Sonos speaker that does is the Move

Badge +2

The Sonos One does not have Bluetooth (exceptforBLE for setup). The only Sonos speaker that does is the Move

So in other words :

Philips hue Bluetooth bulbs + Sonos One

--> unable to work with Alexa voice commands

Philips hue Bluetooth bulbs + Sonos Move

--> able to work with Alexa voice commands

So in other words :

Philips hue Bluetooth bulbs + Sonos One

--> unable to work with Alexa voice commands

Philips hue Bluetooth bulbs + Sonos Move

--> able to work with Alexa voice commands

Or perhaps even better still…

Philips Hue Bulbs of any Type + Any Sonos Product + Harmony Hub

--> able to work with Alexa or Google voice commands

I am no expert on Hue lights, but on further thought I  don't see how it matters whether the Sonos speaker has Bluetooth.  I assume the Bluetooth has to be sent to the bulb, and no Sonos speaker will do that.

The speaker would simply be acting as the means of instructing Alexa, presumably as part of the home network not using Bluetooth. 

Whether that works without a Hue Bridge I'm afraid I have no idea. 

Badge +2

I guess you'll need the hue bridge for it to work.

Or the Harmony hub like user Ken_Griffiths mentioned, but I'm not familiar with that.

I'm going to look it up.

The Hue Bridge is good, as you can use a variety of Apps with sonos audio via a mobile or PC device like Hue Disco, or Hue Sync etc; and lots more appsbesides.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I use a Hue Bridge (with Google Assistant on Sonos) myself (and would advise you to buy one because it works very well), but using Alexa with Hue without a Bridge seems possible: https://www.the-ambient.com/how-to/set-up-philips-hue-without-bridge-1563