Question

No music coming from alexa

• 23 October 2017
  • 14 replies

I added my new sonos one and alexa - i've enabled skills - when i ask it to play music, it says it is going to ... then nothing happens... help 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Same thing here on both of my Sonos Ones :?
See here for specific rules and commands to control Alexa:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343

See here for troubleshooting tips:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4345/
Duh yeah I know the commands she responds that she is play and then nothing. I can stream directly from my iPad to sonos as well and Alexa will check weather etc... just no music from Alexa
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Same here. I've got 2 Sonos Ones and another one coming tomorrow. I think they'll all be going back unless this gets fixed quick. The Sonos skill alone on Alexa with the old Play 1s and other Sonos speakers was better than this.
Just trying to help. But hey, since I'm a "duh", instead of someone who had no idea of what you know about the commands, or what you have tried in order to troubleshoot, I'll slink off now and drool in the corner. Any expertise I have is obviously below yours, so good luck getting your device to work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, if you're having trouble playing music using Alexa, those links above are a great start, but if you're still having trouble can you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Ticket raised and diagnostics sent. Don't know reference number now, I'm afraid.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Duh yeah I know the commands she responds that she is play and then nothing. I can stream directly from my iPad to sonos as well and Alexa will check weather etc... just no music from Alexa

You’ve named them correctly? What music are you trying to play? How are you asking for it? Has your iPad anything to do with voice control? Single units? Stereo pair? What are they called in Sonos app? What are they called in Alexa? Do they play any other streamed music?
Userlevel 1
Same problem here. If I use voice to play music, alexa tells me what I'm about to play, then plays nothing. I can play amazon music or apple music via the Sonos app, it just seems to be the Alexa skill not working. The last part (part 6 of the Alexa set up "Verify music services on Alex") fires up the Alexa app, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do when I get there. There is no obvious button to press. I think it's that stage that's failing.

Between this and learning that various things aren't supported, I'm rather disappointed so far...
Userlevel 1
ALL SORTED!!

OK. If you are having the same problem as me, try this. It worked for me.

Step 1 (may not be needed).
I called my Sonos speaker something similar, but not the same as another device in my smart home (Living Room vs Livingroom). So I changed the name.

Step 2 (I think this was the missing link)
I asked Alexa to "Discover devices" - something you can also do in the Alexa app. Once I had done that, all was fine.

So, if your Sonos says it's about to play something, then doesn't try Detecting Devices. I hope it helps.
Badge
Same here, everything is all set up but when i say "Alexa, play Next track" it says "I can change playback mode only when music is playing" Even though my music is playing. its playing spotify through the sonos controller. the site says i should be able to change the song even with spotify.
Sorry I was being fairly flip, but the OP and myself both indicated we are asking Alexa to play music and she responds playing track XYZ and then nothing actually plays. My devices are registered with Alexa as well as my Amazon Music service. Interestingly enough my 3rd Sonos One is working fine even though I've followed the same setup process. Wondering if there are just a few duds or if I should go through a reset of my other 2 Sonos Ones.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
ALL SORTED!!

I called my Sonos speaker something similar, but not the same as another device in my smart home (Living Room vs Livingroom). So I changed the name.

I asked Alexa to "Discover devices" - something you can also do in the Alexa app. Once I had done that, all was fine.

So, if your Sonos says it's about to play something, then doesn't try Detecting Devices. I hope it helps.

I'm afraid that doesn't work for me
ALL SORTED!!

THIS WAS THE SIMPLEST SOLUTION TO A VERY FRUSTRATING EXPERIENCE. ALL I DID WAS SAY ALEXA DISCOVER DEVICES AND THEN BOOM IT WORKED..... I was previously having the same problem as stated in this thread. I would ask Alexa to play music.. she would say she was and then just blank.