New to Sonos or Alexa? How to set up

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Sonos Staff
  • 12372 replies
So you have an Alexa device and Sonos players, where do you go next?

1. Make sure your Sonos and Alexa devices are all powered up and connected to the network.

If you're new to Sonos, this means Installing the Sonos app, and going through the steps for Setting up Sonos here. There's a great video too.

If you're new to Alexa, install the Alexa app (currently only available in the US, UK, and Germany) and make sure your Alexa device(s) show up. They will be listed under Settings > Devices. Amazon has a setup guide for the Echo Dot here.

2. In the Alexa app, search for and add the Alexa Skill for Sonos.

3. Follow the on-screen prompts to authenticate your Amazon account, then your Sonos account.

4. Finally, inside your Alexa app, select discover devices under Smart Home or on the Sonos skill page.

You are now ready to try out some commands! There’s a great, comprehensive list here.

Wondering how it all works? Check out the How it works thread.

If you run into any trouble, please feel free to take a look here to start, or ask any question in the Amazon Alexa and Sonos forum.

There are also full steps laid out in our video here:

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

199 replies

I have Spotify Premium and has worked fine with my Sonos for years. However, when I say "Alexa, play Spotify playlist New Stuff Good Stuff in Kitchen," Alexa responds with, "I can't play from Spotify music on that device." Spotify is already the default music service for my Amazon Echo. Has anybody been able to get Spotify to work via Alexa on their Sonos speakers?

They dont support Spotify. You have to use an audio jack. Even then I had to disable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app to get audio to come out of the Sonos again.
Userlevel 3
[quote=aaronsen]Hi - I'm getting a white screen on the Alexa app when i enable the skill, doesn't take me to the sign on for linking the account. Anybody know why ?

I am in Canada and currently working for me - try re installing the Alexa app... or restarting your phone?

Just tried resetting, no luck, are you using the alexa app from the US itunes store ?
I am having issues with music playing over my Echo Dot instead of the SONOS speaker. My SONOS speakers are named as follows: Living Room, Kitchen, Office and my Echo Dots are named as follows: Living Room Dot, Kitchen Dot, Office Dot and Bedroom Dot.

If I look in the Alexa app, the SONOS devices are showing up and names as above, do I need to rename the Echo Dots to solve the problem?
Badge
So far my echo dot in my bedroom works with my bedroom sonos and my bathroom sonos.

Tomorrow I will try my kitchen and family room ones.

The volume thing is, I say Alexa turn volume up on bedroom, or volume down.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
finally it was here.... Thanks Sonos
initially I just had issue updating my Sonos app, and wasn't able to link Sonos skill on the alexa app, I have to reinstall my Sonos app on my phone and then was able to setup the Sonos skill afterwards.... and it works now
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Currently, Alexa does not support streaming on multiple devices. I have one Echo and one Echo Dot, and cannot play on both at once. I only have a single Play:1 for now. As I add to the system, should I be able to stream different music to multiple or different Sonos speakers controlled by the two different Echo devices?

I think with the latest updates, alexa does support playing the same thing on multiple echos/dots. If you go into "Smart Home", and choose groups, you group your amazon devices there.

Yes, you can play different music to different Sonos devices (as long as they are ungrouped in the Sonos app before you issue the command). And you don't need different echo devices to do it, one echo can control all of the sonos devices separately.
However, you cannot play the same thing on echo/dots AND sonos devices. There is no way to group and echo with a play:1, for example.
Badge
was just able to get the app updated in Canada .. haven't tested yet since I have spotify and know support isnt rolled out yet for that.. hoping that comes soon after waiting quite a while for this update.
Userlevel 1
Badge
So far this is a COMPLETE FAIL! I updated my sonos system and then went to my Alexa app. Searched for Sonos under Alexa skills and does it show up at the top of the list? Nope, the true Sonos skill is at the very bottom (clearly working very closely with Amazon on this!). I enable the skill, it asked to sign it, I do so and then it hands me off to the Sonos app. Sonos app indicates that I need to upgrade my app and hands me off to the Apple App Store. No update - as I'm on the latest so it indicates that I should "Open" the app. Then... nothing. A complete fail. Sonos clearly bet on the WRONG HORSE for initial launch!!! Any "partner" that has you at the bottom of the search list of your own company name clearly shows their level of commitment. I'm truly disappointed at how far behind the curve Sonos is and that Google or Apple didn't simply purchase them...
Userlevel 2
So far this is a COMPLETE FAIL! I updated my sonos system and then went to my Alexa app. Searched for Sonos under Alexa skills and does it show up at the top of the list? Nope, the true Sonos skill is at the very bottom (clearly working very closely with Amazon on this!). I enable the skill, it asked to sign it, I do so and then it hands me off to the Sonos app. Sonos app indicates that I need to upgrade my app and hands me off to the Apple App Store. No update - as I'm on the latest so it indicates that I should "Open" the app. Then... nothing. A complete fail. Sonos clearly bet on the WRONG HORSE for initial launch!!! Any "partner" that has you at the bottom of the search list of your own company name clearly shows their level of commitment. I'm truly disappointed at how far behind the curve Sonos is and that Google or Apple didn't simply purchase them.... Had the same issue with the update sonos app part. Delete app from device and reinstall from cloud worked for me. My sonos skill was top on the Alexa app. If I recall correctly I had it on sort by release date. Bear in mind it is in public beta and therefore not everything will be perfect.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Works great. To stop music, say "Alexa, stop music in [speaker name]." Also, works with artists: "Alexa, play [artist] in the [speaker name]." I haven't figured out how to play specific services (a Pandora station or an Apple Music playlist) or Sonos Favorite playlists yet.
Try "Alexa, play Salsa Radio from Pandora on [speaker name]." You will need to have Pandora added to your Alexa app too.

Also, the Sonos player is muted when you start to issue a command to Alexa, even commands that aren't Sonos-specific, and works even if you started music from the Sonos app instead of Alexa. That's a great feature.
It's called "ducking," glad you like it :)

Try "Alexa, play Salsa Radio from Pandora on [speaker name]." You will need to have Pandora added to your Alexa app too.

Yeah, the Alexa app won't allow me to add Pandora to my Amazon Fire or any of my Sonos zones. Unless you are an Amazon music fan - this integration fails to deliver on most levels.
Userlevel 1
Badge
So far this is a COMPLETE FAIL! I updated my sonos system and then went to my Alexa app. Searched for Sonos under Alexa skills and does it show up at the top of the list? Nope, the true Sonos skill is at the very bottom (clearly working very closely with Amazon on this!). I enable the skill, it asked to sign it, I do so and then it hands me off to the Sonos app. Sonos app indicates that I need to upgrade my app and hands me off to the Apple App Store. No update - as I'm on the latest so it indicates that I should "Open" the app. Then... nothing. A complete fail. Sonos clearly bet on the WRONG HORSE for initial launch!!! Any "partner" that has you at the bottom of the search list of your own company name clearly shows their level of commitment. I'm truly disappointed at how far behind the curve Sonos is and that Google or Apple didn't simply purchase them.... Had the same issue with the update sonos app part. Delete app from device and reinstall from cloud worked for me. My sonos skill was top on the Alexa app. If I recall correctly I had it on sort by release date. Bear in mind it is in public beta and therefore not everything will be perfect.

Ctrucks - I truly appreciate the feedback but the honest truth is that Sonos made this announcement and commitment over a year ago and the "public beta" is truly just an indication of their level of confidence to deliver - not a true public beta. Google announced some very cool devices today and while they fall short of the home theater experience I have to believe that their own integration with the Google Assistant is spot on. Honestly my posts are probably more about my disappointment that Apple didn't purchase Sonos than Sonos trying to have Amazon be a "partner" and Amazon most likely treating them like one of their many "3rd party integration partners". With a Sonos press conference I had hoped for more...
So far this is a COMPLETE FAIL! I updated my sonos system and then went to my Alexa app. Searched for Sonos under Alexa skills and does it show up at the top of the list? Nope, the true Sonos skill is at the very bottom (clearly working very closely with Amazon on this!). ....... Sonos clearly bet on the WRONG HORSE for initial launch!!! Any "partner" that has you at the bottom of the search list of your own company name clearly shows their level of commitment. I'm truly disappointed at how far behind the curve Sonos is and that Google or Apple didn't simply purchase them...

There are 4 options for sorting the list of Skills. They are RELEVANCE, AVG CUSTOMER RATING, RELEASE DATE & FEATURED. On my system Sonos skill comes top in 2 and 2nd in the 3rd and next to bottom in the FEATURED option.

I don't think; to be honest, we should make any statements regarding the commitment or otherwise of a partnership based on a search ranking algorithm that we do not fully understand!

As for Sonos being "behind the curve" and Google/Apple acquiring them - please God save me from that.
Userlevel 1
Badge
So far this is a COMPLETE FAIL! I updated my sonos system and then went to my Alexa app. Searched for Sonos under Alexa skills and does it show up at the top of the list? Nope, the true Sonos skill is at the very bottom (clearly working very closely with Amazon on this!). ....... Sonos clearly bet on the WRONG HORSE for initial launch!!! Any "partner" that has you at the bottom of the search list of your own company name clearly shows their level of commitment. I'm truly disappointed at how far behind the curve Sonos is and that Google or Apple didn't simply purchase them...

There are 4 options for sorting the list of Skills. They are RELEVANCE, AVG CUSTOMER RATING, RELEASE DATE & FEATURED. On my system Sonos skill comes top in 2 and 2nd in the 3rd and next to bottom in the FEATURED option.

I don't think; to be honest, we should make any statements regarding the commitment or otherwise of a partnership based on a search ranking algorithm that we do not fully understand!

As for Sonos being "behind the curve" and Google/Apple acquiring them - please God save me from that.

You are correct - there are filters for all skills but a partnership would promote that the day of launch - I didn't change any of the default search parameters. This has nothing to do with search ranking algorithm; it has to do with level of commitment and promotion strategy. As far as the Google/Apple comment - the future is AI and machine learning - two things that Sonos won't do but Google and Apple will. True home integration will require this...
Hi, can I disable alexa exho dot from playing music somehow? When i say alexa play artist on pandora it plays on the stupid dot. Also, it says it cant play genres?
Is there a plan to include Deezer in the Alexa integration and if so what is the timescale?
I can't really use it at the moment. I can't play anything from my library or Spotify. That doesn't leave anything??. Just voice commands for stop, volume etc. Not really that exciting yet. Hopefully these features will come and I'll then start using the skill.
Alexa is not understanding any of the iHeart named stations, ie: iHeart80s, iHeart90s. It keeps playing some news station.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I can't really use it at the moment. I can't play anything from my library or Spotify. That doesn't leave anything??. Just voice commands for stop, volume etc. Not really that exciting yet. Hopefully these features will come and I'll then start using the skill.
Upload some music to your free Amazon music storage and you can then make more use of it.
Badge
I am having issues with music playing over my Echo Dot instead of the SONOS speaker. My SONOS speakers are named as follows: Living Room, Kitchen, Office and my Echo Dots are named as follows: Living Room Dot, Kitchen Dot, Office Dot and Bedroom Dot.

If I look in the Alexa app, the SONOS devices are showing up and names as above, do I need to rename the Echo Dots to solve the problem?

I am having this problem as well.

Additionally, when I say "Volume Up/Down" - my Dot volume responds, not the Sonos speakers. Is there a solution?
Badge
Is there a way to play a radio stations? What command do you use? Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Hi, can I disable alexa exho dot from playing music somehow? When i say alexa play artist on pandora it plays on the stupid dot. Also, it says it cant play genres?

You must say what you want Alexa to play it on. It has no idea. Default is always the Alexa device. Easy when you read the question syntax.

Do the release notes say it can play genres?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Are you saying the right phrase e.g. ending with 'in the Living Room/Kitchen/Office'?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Yes e.g. "Alexa, play Heart London in the Bedroom". This will play Heart FM from London using the TuneIn service on my Sonos called "Bedroom".
Badge

I am having this problem as well.

Additionally, when I say "Volume Up/Down in [room]" - my Dot says "[room] isn't responding." Is there a solution?
Badge
Yes e.g. "Alexa, play Heart London in the Bedroom". This will play Heart FM from London using the TuneIn service on my Sonos called "Bedroom".
W