Question

New to Sonos: How does Sonos One work with ....

• 28 January 2018
  • 1 reply

Have had my Play 1 only a couple months. Interested in current sale of Sonos One bundle but first want to know how does the Sonos One work with my existing Play1? Will the Sonos One control the Play 1? Or, will Play 1 controlled with app and Sonos One with Alexa? Thanks for the help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos One is exactly like your current play:1 except has Alexa built into it with microphones on top. You can do most alexa things like home automation. You can also play songs to the Sonos One or use the alexa in the Sonos One to initiate music to other Sonos speakers.

Example: let’s assume your play:1 is room kitchen and Sonos One is bedroom

Speaking to Sonos One:

Alexa play Bruno mars.
Alexa play Bruno mars on kitchen

I above examples the first command will play music to the Sonos One. The second command will actually play must to your existing play:1. Of course there are lots of other commands.

Note: via voice command you can only play from alexa enabled services like Spotify amazon music pandora etc.

Things like deeper Apple Music google play you have to still use controller as do now.

Of course when Sonos adds google assistant to the Sonos One you will then be able to play google play via voice control and supposedly deeper in the works.

Apple Music integration will involve airplay 2 using Siri on iPhones.