New Sonos One - No Calling or Spotify

• 23 October 2017
  • 19 replies

Badge
New Sonos One with built in Alexa! Not quite.
My new unit arrived today, setup was easy and had it working within 10 mins. However I was disappointed to learn that calling and messaging are not possible. Also not able to play Spotify with voice control on that unit, this works with the DOT. Nowhere that I seen in the marketing release did it say that Alexa functionality would be limited, so a lesson to be learned there.
Could someone from Sonos please highlight any other Alexa functions that are restricted in the new Sonos One. Are there plans to introduce the calling and messaging features in the future?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Calling and messaging are Echo only functions not available on other Alexa enabled devices. I do not foresee them coming to other devices (though I have no inside info). Spotify support is coming soon, by Christmas is the target date according to the Sonos Facebook account. Please note the Alexa skill available from Amazon is currently in beta, so improvements are expected.
My new unit arrived today, setup was easy and had it working within 10 mins. However I was disappointed to learn that calling and messaging are not possible. Also not able to play Spotify with voice control on that unit, this works with the DOT. Nowhere that I seen in the marketing release did it say that Alexa functionality would be limited, so a lesson to be learned there.
Could someone from Sonos please highlight any other Alexa functions that are restricted in the new Sonos One. Are there plans to introduce the calling and messaging features in the future?

All of this has been publicized all over the place including this forum and the many Sonos One reviews.
Badge
Calling and messaging are Echo only functions not available on other Alexa enabled devices. I do not foresee them coming to other devices (though I have no inside info). Spotify support is coming soon, by Christmas is the target date according to the Sonos Facebook account. Please note the Alexa skill available from Amazon is currently in beta, so improvements are expected.Thank you for the response
Badge

All of this has been publicized all over the place including this forum and the many Sonos One reviews.

Thank you for the response, I do apologise I did not have the time to research the topic.

Thank you for the response, I do apologise I did not have the time to research the topic.

I don't mean to be harsh about it just saying the current limitations were pretty well discussed.
I disagree this was prominent. I have been super excited for this to arrive and saw nothing of those limitations. It’s supposed to be an alexa - just in a sonos. And I spent an hour trying to get it to work and all it would tell me was something was wrong. And it even went through a step of synching music services and never once indicated Spotify wasn’t supported.
Every review said it and it’s on the Sonos One page.
http://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/one.html
I feel a little funny defending Sonos though because even the things they say work, like playing Pandora via Alexa, are very buggy and don’t work all the time.
Oh I just looked again at the Sonos One page and it also says it does everything Alexa does which is clearly not true.
Way to screw up a product launch Sonos.
Actually the Sonos One page does say "Look out for improvements—like fully supported voice control for Spotify, coming later this year." But the Sonos/Spotify landing page says nothing. Just sayin I spent an hour getting "something must have gone wrong" and fiddling with the app before I realized it wasn't supported - maybe it's because I'm an idiot, but maybe Sonos could have done a better job making it idiot proof!
The lack of Spotify support was fairly clear upfront (if not annoying) with a little research.
The greater issue for me that was NOT clear is the inability to change the wake word. Our entire house is synched with multiple Dots and Echos. Frustrating that the new speaker won't play ball and 'join the family'.
Fingers crossed for updates. Otherwise this was just an expensive Play1.
I had a chat with a Sonos employee at the Samsung Developer Conference in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago (where the Sonos One was prominently demoed). He claimed that the calling feature will be added to the Sonos One eventually (without giving a time frame). Perhaps that Sonos employee was ill informed but I do sincerely hope he was not. IMHO that would be a very severely limitation for a device with supposedly "build in Alexa".
Totally agree-as a new owner of sonos ones I’m really disappointed by the ‘Alexa promise’ which isn’t fulfilled. No calling, groups etc. Poor for a premium device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Totally agree-as a new owner of sonos ones I’m really disappointed by the ‘Alexa promise’ which isn’t fulfilled. No calling, groups etc. Poor for a premium device.

Hi

Groups are supported now: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/an-overview-and-explanation-of-the-new-support-for-alexa-grouping-6817788/index1.html#post16298346

As for Calling, you need to complain to Amazon. They define the difference between Alexa devices and Alexa Enabled devices. In fact not all of the Amazon product line up support Calling.
Userlevel 3
Badge
As for Calling, you need to complain to Amazon. Earlier in 2018 Amazon started supporting calling and messaging for 3rd party Alexa enabled devices. A cheap Eufy Genie speaker can do both and Amazon Multi-Room Music. Complain to Sonos about the lack of supporting all available Alexa features.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
As for Calling, you need to complain to Amazon. Earlier in 2018 Amazon started supporting calling and messaging for 3rd party Alexa enabled devices. A cheap Eufy Genie speaker can do both and Amazon Multi-Room Music. Complain to Sonos about the lack of supporting all available Alexa features.

.and as we've discussed in other threads, the Sonos development priority will be focused upon controlling Audio Output, unless these new functions come as part of the standard Alexa functionality, which 'calling' obviously isn't.
Userlevel 3
Badge

.and as we've discussed in other threads, the Sonos development priority will be focused upon controlling Audio Output, unless these new functions come as part of the standard Alexa functionality, which 'calling' obviously isn't.
First you direct the user to complain to Amazon about Sonos not having calling. Of which calling is a feature in the SDK that Sonos uses. Now you are writing about Sonos development priority. How is Sonos development priority, choosing to not focus on adding calling from the Amazon SDK, something that we should complain to Amazon about?

I again stand by my comment to direct complaints to Sonos as the ability to add calling is entirely under Sonos control. The SDK is available and whether Sonos prioritizes the development is up to Sonos. Complaining to Amazon, as you directed the user, will be pointless.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm sorry I'm not going argue with you. You have a view that Sonos should use their development time to compete with entry-level devices that are trying to compete with an Echo Dot. My point is that Sonos are using Alexa to control music and support basic Alexa embedded functions. The fact that Calling requires development from Sonos is, in my opinion, one of the reasons that Sonos have not prioritised this functionality on the Sonos Roadmap. But still, Happy New Year and let's see what happens in 2019!
Userlevel 3
Badge

First you direct the user to complain to Amazon about Sonos not having calling. Of which calling is a feature in the SDK that Sonos uses. Now you are writing about Sonos development priority. How is Sonos development priority, choosing to not focus on adding calling from the Amazon SDK, something that we should complain to Amazon about?

I again stand by my comment to direct complaints to Sonos as the ability to add calling is entirely under Sonos control. The SDK is available and whether Sonos prioritizes the development is up to Sonos. Complaining to Amazon, as you directed the user, will be pointless.
I'm sorry I'm not going argue with you. You have a view that Sonos should use their development time to compete with entry-level devices that are trying to compete with an Echo Dot. My point is that Sonos are using Alexa to control music and support basic Alexa embedded functions. The fact that Calling requires development from Sonos is, in my opinion, one of the reasons that Sonos have not prioritised this functionality on the Sonos Roadmap. But still, Happy New Year and let's see what happens in 2019!
I don’t wish to argue either. You have a point of view that complaining to Amazon will solve calling for Sonos. Amazon will point you to their SDK solution, examples of other 3rd party devices that support calling and send you to Sonos to complain. As you stated “Sonos have not prioritised this functionality on the Sonos Roadmap.” Amazon has made this available so its in Sonos hands. The only company that needs to hear the complaints is Sonos.

This will never get prioritized by Sonos if you keep directing people to complain to Amazon on features already in the SDK. Sonos needs to hear the voice of the customer on this, not Amazon.
Hmmm, why do some of these posts look vaguely familiar? :?