Answered

Nearest Sonos one doesn’t respond

• 15 March 2018
  • 6 replies

I have 5 Sonos One speakers in various rooms in my house. Alexa is very responsive and always hears when I am speaking to it and only responds on one speaker. My problem is that it often responds on the furthest speaker away from me. I could be in the kitchen just a few feet from that speaker and the speaker around the corner and 25 feet away will respond. Anything I can do to fix this?
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 15 March 2018, 08:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Nope... This is determined by Alexa and will trigger the device that heard the loudest and clearest command. Is there anything in front of the speakers that could be blocking the voice command in the kitchen?
Nope, it is clear all around it and on a shelf at head height so it should be getting the loudest and clearest command. I can see why sometimes the pair in the tv room respond instead as they are not that far away (although more obstructed) but the one in the living room is very far and behind a wall and it often responds. It is almost like they take turns responding from commands in the kitchen.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You could try Disabling then Enabling the Sonos skill...
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
I have similar setup to yours and this has been an ongoing issue since Sonos tweaked the sensitivity of the Sonos One to the wake word. The bottom line is that the implementation of Alexa's Echo Spatial Perception on the Sonos is as yet not nearly the equal of Amazon's own Echo devices (which, by the way, were also never perfect in this regard). Whether the fault ultimately lies with Sonos or Amazon I could only guess, but at present there is no fix.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The player to respond is determined by several things. It should be the one that hears you the best, but if one has a significantly better connection to the network, that one could win arbitration too. To start with, I'd suggest toggling the microphone off and back on for the units that don't seem to win. If that's not doing it, it may be worth it to give us a call on our support line and a technician can take a look at your system and see if maybe it's got a poor connection to the network.

We're continually working on the Sonos One and Alexa with Sonos integrations, so you'll see that get better over time in many regards.
Had this exact same problem. Tried a bunch of stuff, but when standing inches from my original Sonos One Alexa would answer on the other One significantly farther away. When I turned off the voice control on the original speaker, then asked Alexa something. The farther one still answered - obviously. When I turned the voice control back on - on the original (closer) speaker, Alexa answered on that one! Went to the farther speaker - and Alexa answered on that one! Seems to have fixed it!