Muting when Alexa activated

• 18 October 2017
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
We have an 8 zone Sonos system made up, mostly, of pairs of Play:1's and Play:5's. We also have a number of Dots scattered around the house, so was looking forward to the Alexa integration.

Annoyingly though, I think I'm going to have to switch off the integration until the software comes out of beta. For me, the show-stopper is the way all the Sonos speakers reduce in volume if any Alexa in the house is used. For example, my home office is on the top floor of the house, and it's very annoying when I'm listening to the radio, and suddenly, for no apparent reason, the volume drops significantly just because my wife has added something to the Alexa shopping list in the kitchen, or because the kids have asked Alexa a question from the family room (rooms which are far away!). This seams like a crazy oversight on the part of the developers.

Is there anything I'm missing? For example, surely an easy work around would be an option to not drop the volume at all, even if the Alexa *is* in the same room as the Sonos.

Additionally, I have a few Play One's on order, and I'm assuming I'm going to get the same problem with those if voice control is used on them... although I live in the (slight) hope that, as they're effectively a Dot and a Play:1 in a single unit, maybe it'll only adjust the volume of that single unit?...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 1
I've just posted for the same issue. I've logged a call with support, who are going to pass it onto the Alexa Dev team.
Do you have the same problem where Alexa will only play music from Amazon and not use your local music library too?
Alexa plays my music library from a NAS but only through SONOS. I have the same muting issue, annoying as Hell.
They have a lot to develop, we are beta testers.