Question

Music will not play via Sonos, only Echo Dot

• 24 October 2017
  • 1 reply

Hi, I have a number of play 1 speakers in 5 rooms and in each one I also have an echo dot.

I have linked the account successfully and can discover the Sonos speakers in Alexa app. The speakers are named with the room and the dots named [room name] echo dot.

However when I say "Alexa play radio 1 in [room name]" it always plays via the echo dot, not sonos.

How can I make it always play via Sonos?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

First thing I'd do is change the names. I found that Alexa stopped listing frequently after "Room name", so she wouldn't hear either "Dot" or "Sonos". And oddly, this was not all the time, sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't.

I found that changing the first word so it was different in all circumstances resolved the issue. Alexa's ability to differentiate between words is a bit hazy, too, so pick different names for each device. Don't call one set "Sonos Roomname" and the other "Dot Roomname", as she would be stuck on the word Sonos if you had multiple speakers, and be confused as to which one you were talking about, some of the time.