Question

Multiple Sonos separate wifi

• 30 December 2017
  • 3 replies

I have a 3 story townhome with multiple Sonos, Play 1(2), Sound bar, amps, Play 3 etc. on different floors and I use Amazon Echo on the floors too. I do have a son that lives with me and was using an Amazon Echo at night to play a fan sound (white noise) at night to reduce any noise he may hear when I get up. I bought him a Sonos Play 1 for Christmas to use for this purpose plus to listen to music etc in his bedroom. I have read that when we use the Echo dot in my room to turn off/on lights etc, it reduces the volume of the one in his room (phrase is ducking I have learned).

In deciding on how to resolve this issue, since I usually am up for work at 4:30am, taking dogs out etc, I thought I could setup a guest network on my Eero system and he could connect his to that network and it would stop the ducking. The Sonos play 1 will not connect to it at all. So it's a secondary network on the same router. Not sure if the issue is the Sonos or it's the network. Is this at all possible? We have tried multiple times to reset the play 1 and the app and it just isn't connecting.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This would be possible but you would need to create separate Sonos and Amazon accounts for use with your son's Sonos One. This would create two completely separate systems which would stop the ducking issue but also would not enable you to play synced audio across your Sonos system and your son's.
Thanks for the information UKMedia. At this point we aren't even using Alexa with his Sonos and it's a Play 1 not the One that has the Alexa built in to it. He now has his own Sonos account and he has had his own Amazon account with Echo on it to play the fan sound at night. The Sonos Play 1 won't connect, to the guest network at all. It still finds the main network. I am wondering if it's because we are using an Ethernet cord, connected to the eero router which has both the main network and the guest network. We are just working to get it to connect to the guest network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You will need to use Wi-Fi I suspect and make sure it is set to 2.4Ghtz not 5. FYI - The set-up is the same for a Play:1 as for a Sonos One, as you want Alexa control.

First, you'll need to Factory Reset the Play:One again as per:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1107/kw/factory%20reset

Then if you log your son's phone and tablet on to the Guest Network and start the app, it should give you the option to set-up a new system, then select Standard and it should search for the Play:1 once you press the two buttons on the top.