Answered

Microphones not working on speakers

• 4 February 2020
  • 8 replies

Hello all

ive just purchased a Sonos beam and 2xones gen 2 speakers. I already have Alexa working away. 

ive now setup the Sonos as surround system and it’s working great. 

I decided to add Alexa to the Sonos. 

it’s seems to add with no issues, everything is enabled and looks like it should work. 

I get the initial Alexa voice warning and it states Alexa is working on the Sonos beam 

the beam works with Alexa voice commands and also I can turn it on or off with a swipe of a finger 

HERES THE PROBLEM GUYS  

The 2 rear speakers don’t work at all with Alexa. They work perfectly with Sonos surround and the Sonos app but the little White microphone on the speakers doesn’t light up and can’t be swiped left or right. It’s permanently off and doesn’t respond. 

in the Alexa app it’s enabled and can see the Sonos and I’ve added the Alexa via the Sonos app and all seems well apart from the rear speakers. 

any help is really appreciated. I’m in IT as well so I’m no noddy here, they just won’t work, grrrrrrr

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 4 February 2020, 20:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

That’s the way it works with Beam and surrounds. There are no alternative options for using the rear(s) instead of the Beam. 

Say what? The rears don’t work? 

im assuming if the Sonos wasn’t setup as a surround system they would work? Because they did b4 I set the surround up 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The microphones on the rears are disabled in 5.x config and only the Beam mic is enabled. 

Do you know why? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I think it’s so that multiple speakers don’t try to respond to voice commands. 

Why not let users choose what they want? My rears are right behind us and the beam is away from us so it’s rendered this functionality useless 

Userlevel 7

Hi @Goatistuta 

@nik9669a is correct that the mics on the Sonos One’s are disabled when used as surrounds with the Beam. However when used as surrounds with a Playbase or Playbar the mics remain active.

If you can’t re-purpose the Sonos One’s else where in your home you can return them (if within the return window) and purchase a pair of Sonos One SL’s. They are identical to the Sonos One’s acoustically sans Alexa or Google voice assistants.

If you need a voice assistant closer to your seating area you can purchase an Echo Dot and change the wake command to Computer or Echo so as not to interfere with Alexa on the Beam. You’ll save money (even with the purchase of the Echo Dot) and achieve your goal to have voice assistance in close proximity. It’s a win/win!

Cheers!

Not really, what’s the point in having voice activation if they disable it? At the very least give the users the choice. It can’t be hard to do that and if it’s a simple slider button software update it seems crazy not to gift people the ability to choose. Quite ridiculous really. My Alexa picks up 2 rooms away before the beam that’s 12ft away!!!! Unbelievable really