Is there a way to have a "default room"?

• 9 October 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
If I say "Alexa, play Bruce Springsteen radio", it will begin playing on the Echo and won't go to the Sonos unless I specify a room. Is there a way to set a default room? E.g., if the Echo is in the kitchen, I should be able to set Kitchen as the default room and thus avoid qualifying the Play command with a room.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Not at this time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Not using the Sonos Alexa Skills. A certain 3rd party Skill does support this for Sonos though.

The "in the room" suffix is required for the Sonos skill because there is no "invocation name" that normal skills use. For example:

"Alexa, play Sting in the bathroom" - "in the xxx" is the key to know to use the Sonos skill.
vs
"Alexa, tell My Speaker to Play Sting" - "my speaker" is the invocation name, the key to use that Skill. It also supports "in the xxx" but it is not required for Amazon to determine which Skill to use, and the skill remembers the last room name used.
Is there any update to this? ie can you default to a specific room yet instead of saying 'in the garden room' for example.
Is there any update to this? ie can you default to a specific room yet instead of saying 'in the garden room' for example.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos has said they want to be able to link to a default speaker but they are working with Amazon on. The Sonos One speaker you don't need to say room name to play to it via the built in Alexa.