Is Sonos working to get HD/UHD/Dolby Atmos quality streamed through Alexa with Amazon Music?

• 1 March 2024
  • 2 replies

We use Amazon Music as our chosen streaming service on a variety of Sonos speakers. We use both because we love the sound of high quality music and HD/UHD/Dolby Atmos played through Sonos speakers is fantastic.

Unfortunately, when music is requested through Alexa or the Amazon Music, it is only ever played in SD format, which is no comparison when played on a Dolby Atmos compatible Sonos speaker. 

Seems a bit strange Sonos can integrate Alexa but doesn't make the most of high quality audio.

I know we could ask Sonos Voice Control instead but that regularly doesn't find the song we want as easily as Alexa does.

Is there any indication if Sonos and Amazon Music are working together to fix this so we get the best quality audio streamed via Alexa?

2 replies

There’s no indication, Sonos very rarely (if ever) announce their development roadmap, or discuss any ongoing work with partners. I doubt we will hear anything until perhaps any such changes/new features are released.

As an Amazon Music/Alexa and Sonos user myself, I also hope this happens and that the audio via Alexa on Sonos will eventually be lossless HD/UltraHD audio, rather than the standard lossy we see at the moment.🤞

There’s no indication, Sonos very rarely (if ever) announce their development roadmap, or discuss any ongoing work with partners. I doubt we will hear anything until perhaps any such changes/new features are released.

As an Amazon Music/Alexa and Sonos user myself, I also hope this happens and that the audio via Alexa on Sonos will eventually be lossless HD/UltraHD audio, rather than the standard lossy we see at the moment.🤞

Thanks Ken_Griffiths,

I wonder if it's the way Sonos integrates Alexa on their speakers. Alexa has always seemed like an 'add-on' that can talk through the speaker but never fully integrated within the Sonos system (eg. Alexa has never been able to change speaker grouping). But I would hope there may be a work-around for this problem. The difference is so stark when using a Dolby Atmos speaker such as the Era 300. This must surely be important to Sonos -  who's ethos is based on high-quality audio.

I will contact Sonos directly and hopefully there are enough Sonos users asking for the same improvement for them to make a change.