Question

Is Alexa Plex Skill Compatible with Sonos One?

• 17 December 2017
  • 5 replies

I've enabled the Plex Skill in Alexa and am able to issue voice commands to play music from my Plex server on my Echo device. However, on the Sonos One, it goes through the motions and actually says it's playing music, but nothing comes out. Does anyone know if this is a feature not or not yet available on the Sonos One or if I have an issue with my device? Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Lambo88. Plex is not yet available through Alexa on Sonos, though we are working hard to introduce more features over time. We do not yet have a time-frame for this, unfortunately. Please let us know if you need anything else.
To say I'm disappointed with this response would be an understatement as I recently bought the more expensive Sonos One on the strength of being told by the salesman that its implementation of Alexa was fully compatible with Plex. I'm also puzzled as to what the issue is. I can successfully ask Alexa to tell me what's on deck & I can tell Alexa to play a band/song which it correctly recognises if it exists but it will just not play the music. It just seems so close to working.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Salespeople do what salespeople do. Nothing new there. The Plex skill is more or less just a controller for Plex. You have to select a device with the Plex app to play to... a smart TV, phone, tablet, game console, Roku box, Fire TV... Sonos unfortunately isn't in the list of supported devices, per this Plex support article regarding Alexa (under the Current Support section).
Badge
I have already returned my Sonos One. It's not ready for prime time in my opinion. The sound quality is certainly not worthy of the price point and I find it absurd that I cannot pair my Sonos One with a Play 1: . To get the stereo pairing, you must purchase two Alexa enabled devices and put them in close proximity, which is utterly useless. Further, the Sonos One's "Alexa fluency" seems to need a lot of work. Things my Echo, and Echo Dot recognize and execute flawlessly, my Sonos One struggled with. I know a lot of it is software and it will get better and more compatible over time; I think I'll just wait for awhile and see what Sonos does to improve on this weak first offering.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have already returned my Sonos One. It's not ready for prime time in my opinion. The sound quality is certainly not worthy of the price point and I find it absurd that I cannot pair my Sonos One with a Play 1: . To get the stereo pairing, you must purchase two Alexa enabled devices and put them in close proximity, which is utterly useless. Further, the Sonos One's "Alexa fluency" seems to need a lot of work. Things my Echo, and Echo Dot recognize and execute flawlessly, my Sonos One struggled with. I know a lot of it is software and it will get better and more compatible over time; I think I'll just wait for awhile and see what Sonos does to improve on this weak first offering.

This is fact with AI, it learns over time with user interaction and isn't something that Sonos or Amazon can develop in a lab! My Echo device was the same when I first purchased it, Sonos are following the same path.

With regard to the pairing, I agree it is frustrating but Sonos have always stated that you can only pair two identical devices. The hardware for the Play:1 and Sonos One are different, although Sonos haven't clarified the exact differences, hence the inability to pair these two different devices.