Answered

Intermittent Alexa Voice Assistant.. Sonos Voice Control all OK!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

151 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

For what it's worth, German support just confirmed to me that the issue is known and that they're working on a solution together with Amazon. This might take a while though, since they need to pinpoint the problem first. Hope this helps nonetheless!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for the update @Jasperdekruiff 👍

Userlevel 2

Hey guys,

I also had two calls with support. First one was classic first level but ran me through the usual debug stuff which of course did not fix the problem. The second person seems to me aware of the issue from the get go and knowing something about ITIL process, every formal ticket against a known problem helps to get things moving.

So I think Sonos is by now aware :)

Also I really do not envy the Devs fixing this, random occuring issues especially in a inter vendor scenario are really not something you do easily. 

Cheers,

Matt

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Hirsel I’m swaying on the optimistic side of a fix being relatively quick.

Working in development myself, and based on the things we know currently:

1. It’s only an issue on specific hardware: Era 100
  2. It wasn’t always an issue and has only started recently (1-2 months max for me)

Back tracking any firmware changes would be the first start; though the tricky part is if Sonos cant replicate the issue themselves, but hopefully we can help if needed as early BETA testers!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I got my Era100 the other day, “upgraded” from an old Play5 (gradually getting everything onto S2), and immediately ran into this issue. Have reported to support and submitted my diagnostics. It has been passed to development.

Hopefully another voice added will help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Just for your information… 

I had another contact to Sonos support team and also told them about the several community threads about this issue. They are aware of them and definitely are investigating the problem after they were able to reproduce it. 
So you can be sure that all the comments over here got an ear. 😎

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

‘Ear’ or ‘Era’ ? 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

‘Ear’ or ‘Era’ ? 😀

😅👍🏻 Taking a problem with a smile of course is a smaller problem. 😎

Userlevel 3
Badge

The answer i just received from support

Userlevel 2

Did anyone get any news here?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Did anyone get any news here?

No update of information yet… 

Userlevel 3
Badge

This is how i fix the issue for now with a legacy alexa echo dot beside and turn off the voice control mic on the era 100

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Minsou 

Not the way as planned by design, but… it just works. 😉👍🏻

Userlevel 2

Yeah the workaround is similar to mine but it still sucks to do something like this at the price point if Sonos.. in 20 Eur echo I can accept quirks but not in a multi hundred Eur product 

Hi all. I have the same issue in UK. I’ve just done live chat with Sonos and agent was very helpful. Confirmed it’s a known issue and being worked on.  There’s no fix other than persisting until Alexa kicks in and no timeframe for resolution but very much being worked on.

I do find switching active listening on in the Alexa app settings has helped a little bit that might just be coincidental.

Hope that helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

This is how i fix the issue for now with a legacy alexa echo dot beside and turn off the voice control mic on the era 100

Can I ask how you got this working please, until Sonos release a fix I have a Fire TV Cube in the same room as my pair of Era 100’s but I cannot for the life of me get it to play from the Sonos speakers, it just always plays either from the cube or the tv ? I have linked them both as well. Thanks.

Yeah same deal here with a new Era 100. Wake word causes activity light to flicker momentarily but then it disables before you can utter the command. Seems to be more prevalent when audio already playing but maybe I just notice it more as that tends to be a more annoying scenario (someone’s trying to talk to me and I’m just standing there saying “Alexa; stop!” over and over!). I have however fallen into habit of starting spotify/BBC sounds with Alexa but using SVC to handle volume/stop commands.

No issues with the Beam.

Hi there, I’m from Italy and I have the same problem on my Era 100. 

Having same issue. Have been speaking with Sonos and no indication of when/if bug will be fixed but they are investigating. 

Worryingly it looks as though will not honor warranties for units with this issue(!) - not sure of the legality of this but have emailed their ‘CEO’ (although I seriously doubt the email address listed actually goes to Mr. Spence himself!).

Not a good look when you can grab an Echo for $50!!

Badge

Same problem here.  Posting to follow this

Userlevel 2
Badge

Worryingly it looks as though will not honor warranties for units with this issue(!) - not sure of the legality of this but have emailed their ‘CEO’ (although I seriously doubt the email address listed actually goes to Mr. Spence himself!).

Not a good look when you can grab an Echo for $50!!

Doesn’t surprise me; though I would expect them to remove ‘Works with Alexa’ from the product features list… or at least add ‘Works with Alexa - sometimes’.

yeah having the same issue, just been shipped a new unit after the previous one was sent back with system diagnostic and the issue still persists with Alexa

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

yeah having the same issue, just been shipped a new unit after the previous one was sent back with system diagnostic and the issue still persists with Alexa

Yes, this was to be expected as it’s not a hardware issue. 

I have the exact same problem. Guess there is no solution yet

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I have the exact same problem. Guess there is no solution yet

If there is one it would be communicated over here.