Answered

“I could not find that on Apple Music” - Alexa and Apple Music integration issues

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

I, too, am having the same Alexa non play issue as above. I asked Sonos support directly if Alexa worked for them.
They replied:

"Thank you for your patience while troubleshooting your issue with Apple Music on Alexa.

We are able to play Apple Music on Alexa, we just tested it and works.

What we would like is a diagnostics when you get the error message on Alexa trying to play Apple Music."

If I can get my Apple Music station to play you would think I could also request an artist to play as well through Apple Music. However, this is not the case.
I see it as a half solution with the rest of it coming soon.( I hope)
OKAY - I HAVE GOT IT WORKING.

I am brand new to Sonos so forgive me if a few of these steps weren't necessary, but all I can tell you is it is working.

• I removed my device (unlinked) from within the Alexa iOS app
  • On the Sonos App, I turned off Alex voice control
  • I deleted the Alexa iOS app
  • I re-downloaded the Alexa app
  • Via the Sonos App, I initiated the Alexa set up
  • I signed in as normal
  • Once the device was set up, I was able to command Alexa by saying "Alexa, play Tina Turner in the Lounge" or "Alexa play Energy by Burns, ASAP Rocky in the Lounge"
I got a bit sick of having to say "... in the Lounge" and I found that if under the iOS Alexa app, you create a group (I created one called Lounge), I now just say "Alexa, play music" or "Alexa play music by Adele" and she goes off and does it ("Adele from Apple Music").

It seems to work, so now I may set up my other Sonos devices and hope for the best....
Joshuaroth are you in Australia? I have same problem, followed same instructions to no avail.
What am I missing?
Userlevel 2
Badge
@AussieSonosUserXCX & @Ugo52 I’ve been unable to resolve the issue either.
I feel like this is an Australian region specific issue (the same reason I cannot setup Alexa Recognized voices either via the Sonos One).

Sonos (@Keith N ??) it’d be great if you could provide some official feedback on whether this integration meant to work or not in Australia.
We’ve spent a lot if time adding/re-adding etc to no avail and the various threads had Sonos staff mention they’d come back and update the threads when it was supported (which doesn’t seem to have happened)...yet Sonos support articles seem to say it “is” supported 😞
@beersushi

I had been accessing my Alexa information at Amazon Alexa via the UK account at following site:
alexa.co.uk.....it contained all my devices.

I rang Amazon at Sonos' request. Sonos said that because I couldn't access Alexa via an iPhone using voice control ( à la Siri ) it was NOT a Sonos issue.

I spoke to Amazon and they noted I was subscribed on the USA site so they put me up on the Australian site. I started to have more issues here. Not all devices or music services listed. Mild concern. However, my Alexa was online and activated just that now Sonos device was offline. Go figure. I am then told it is a Sonos problem. I am now in a circular argument.

My intention is to do a Ground Zero reinstall and reboot of Both Alexa and Sonos.

I am spurred on by the assurance from Sonos that this ( Alexa and Apple Music on Sonos 1 ) does in fact work because they have it working here in Australia.

I am running the latest versions of ios , Alexa and Sonos apps on an iPhone 7 and a dated 2009 iMac. I am subscribed to Premium versions of 2 music services to allow me to use these services with Voice command. I am a patient person and so will do it all again.In the meanwhile, I hope Sonos come up with a full solution to the issue.
Userlevel 2
Badge
@Ugo52 this was exactly the post I needed to fix my issue, thank-you!

A little backstory, I’ve had an Amazon account since it was US only, when Australia became active I’ve moved my account over....or so I thought!
I’ve been using Australian Amazon store as well as Audible, but apparently that hadn’t full Australian’d my account.

I did the following:
On my iPhone logged out of Audible/Amazon app/Kindle app/DC comics app.

On a desktop I logged into amazon.com (US), and under Content & Devices found it was adding my Sonos/iPhone/Audible etc there which is weird As I use Australian Audible etc.
Initially I deregistered my Sonos devices from there but then found a link that said move my Kindle account to amazon.com.au (I don’t own a kindle but have used the app a million years ago), I believe this link was the same as if you go to Settings under Content & Devices and set your country to Australia, so I did this logged into amazon.com.au and at that point Content & Devices section in the US site now said it was managed by amazon.com.au site.

So somehow my account was still partially US based even though I was using Australian region for some Amazon services.

So now I proceeded with normal Sonos/Alexa setup (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3439?language=en) and this time I noted I saw amazon.com.au in the different automated Amazon auth pages that appeared, and now the Sonos devices show in Content & Devices on amazon.com.au and all seems to be working (@AussieSonosUserXCX may be this is your issue?)

So somehow my account was still partially US based even though I was using Australian region for some Amazon services.

So now I proceeded with normal Sonos/Alexa setup (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3439?language=en) and this time I noted I saw amazon.com.au in the different automated Amazon auth pages that appeared, and now the Sonos devices show in Content & Devices on amazon.com.au and all seems to be working (@AussieSonosUserXCX may be this is your issue?)
@beersushi
Hallelujah! This seems to be at the root of the problem for i too am now fully conversant with the agreeable Alexa. Once Amazon support got me over to Australia and not USA then although things looked strange , once I went through the set up routine all was good. I can ask Alexa to play from my iPhone to an enables Sonos One speaker. I can give direct voice commands to the Sonos One speaker to play an artist or a playlist from APPLE MUSIC ( yeah!! ). I can pause and interrogate Alexa...eg " what song is playing?"
The following may also be of assistance:
Ensure that Sonos Voice Services have finished their Alexa setup. Do this by going to your Sonos App ( in my case on my iPhone) then choose MORE>SETTINGS>ROOM SETTINGS>( Choose appropriate Room) VOICE SERVICES> and make sure setup is complete for Alexa which should appear there. In my case I hadn't properly finished this setup even though I could see that Alexa had linked to Sonos but Sonos not to Alexa.
Also I discovered from Amazon that your Music Services need to be the Premium paid version for Alexa to work.
Patience has paid off and life is a little better. I'll pass some of this on to Sonos.
Badge

A little backstory, I’ve had an Amazon account since it was US only, when Australia became active I’ve moved my account over....or so I thought!
I’ve been using Australian Amazon store as well as Audible, but apparently that hadn’t full Australian’d my account.

I did the following:

On a desktop I logged into amazon.com (US), and under Content & Devices found it was adding my Sonos/iPhone/Audible etc there which is weird As I use Australian Audible etc.
Initially I deregistered my Sonos devices from there but then found a link that said move my Kindle account to amazon.com.au (I don’t own a kindle but have used the app a million years ago), I believe this link was the same as if you go to Settings under Content & Devices and set your country to Australia, so I did this logged into amazon.com.au and at that point Content & Devices section in the US site now said it was managed by amazon.com.au site.

OMG @beersushi I LOVE YOU!!! YOU ARE A GENIUS!! Thank you so much man, this has FINALLY solved it! After MONTHS of it not working, I try again following your instructions and it’s finally fixed.

You’re right - I had an Amazon US account and my content/devices were still being managed in the US account, despite having an Australian account. I switched over to the Australian Kindle store, ‘deregistered’ all my devices on the Amazon website and re-added them and now every plays from Apple Music seamlessly. I never thought the Kindle store would have an impact on playing music on Apple Music, but there ya go.

Thanks so much, it seriously means so much to me that I can finally have my speakers working fully as intended. You’ve made my day, man. 😃

I did the following:

Amazing! I've suffered a Apple/Sonos/Alexa Menage a Trois for months and this is all it took. Thanks mate.
Isn’t it great to have it working the way it should. I await the day that we can summon up our Apple Music using the Google Assistant through our Alexa enabled Sonos speakers. ( A possible ménage à quatre) but I won’t hold my breath.
I’m now deciding between Google and Spotify versus Alexa and Apple Music but clearly Sonos accessibility makes it a no brainer. I just wish Alexa was as quick on the uptake as Google Assistant.
Happy listening!

I did the following:

Thank you so much @beersushi. This resolved my issue as well. The steps I took was a bit different, but got there in the end. Interestingly, I had no Kindle service, but when I started the Kindle Unlimited subscription process, it detected that my digital content and devices were in the wrong region and prompted me to click on link to move it to Australian store. Once I'v done this, I re-added Apple music service on the Alexa.amazon.com.au website, enabled the voice service on my Sonos One and all is well.

Numerous phone calls, emails to both Amazon and Sonos on the issue were fruitless and once again a clever and persisting user solved it. Thanks for sharing!
@Ugo52 ive only had my beam for 2 weeks but had the same problem, the above process fixed it...thanks for your perseverance