How to get voice control with existing system

Badge
Hi,

I currently have 2 Sonos play 1s in different rooms accessing Apple Music for content. Is there a way of getting voice control with this setup? Do I need to upgrade a play 1 to a Sonos One? Or could I just get an Alexa dot? Will it all work ok with Apple Music?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Badge
Ok, so after doing a bit of reading it doesn’t look like I can do what I want. Alexa and Apple Music don’t like each other, understandable I guess, both companies are trying to protect themselves, so I guess my question has changed somewhat. I don’t want to change my Sonos speakers as the quality of great. So could I achieve what I want with a different Alexa type thing? Or could I easily scrap Apple Music and change to amazon music? Would it then work seemlessly?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea your out of luck right now when it comes to Apple Music - Amazon and Apple don't play well. Also out of luck with Google Home intergration coming later this year - Google and Apple don't play well together.

You do have hope though - Sonos from the Apple side has said they are going to support Airplay2. So in theory later this year when Airplay support is added you are going to be able to have Siri on your apple device play songs to Sonos.

Then the big oh by the way - your not going to have airplay2 support just having play:1s. You would need a Sonos One (as far as we know right now) to act as the bridge to Airplay2.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you moved from Apple Music to Amazon Music or Spotify. Then you would be able to use any Alexa device to voice control to Sonos (a dot, echo, show etc.).
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
You can have voice control to a degree with apple music if you have a google home mini. The yonomi app for google home can add your favorite apple music station and playlist. Set up volume level control and play, pause, mute and unmute options. It just takes some time to setup. I have my apple music setup on my sonos system using the yonomi app. Waiting to see what the google assistance integration will bring to the table.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I doubt echo will ever add apple music support. Might happen with google assistance apple music is available on android.
Badge
Ok, thanks for the advice

Would I be able to get the Amazon music echo plan and get that to work with the Sonos?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
It will, but amazon music is not as good as apple music or spotify. Given the choices, I would good with spotify over amazon music. I tried amazon music, and it was not as good as spotify or apple music.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Do you have gotten a smart speaker yet?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
if not, try the yonomi app for free if you have a android phone. You can control you sonos apple music with voice control by using the google assistance on the phone, think siri can run yonomi also on iPhone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes DrPip - Spotify will work just as good as Amazon music.
Badge
I don’t have a smart speaker yet, but have 2 Sonos play 1s so don’t want to replace that. Am I right in thinking all I need is a amazon dot to turn the Sonos in to smart speakers?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes correct. With amazon dot you can play music by voice to Sonos speakers.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I don’t have a smart speaker yet, but have 2 Sonos play 1s so don’t want to replace that. Am I right in thinking all I need is a amazon dot to turn the Sonos in to smart speakers?

You can actually use a smart phone to add voice control with the yonomi app. I do not have a smart speaking in the bedroom. But I talk just ask my google assistance play music on my soon 1's in the bedroom. And it plays my apple music and spotify. The phone acts as the smart speaker.

It gives you time to do more research on which smart assistance you want to use. There are pro and cons for alexa and google home.
Badge
Hi,

Thanks for the advice, I’ve bought a dot and it’s set up really easily. One thing I’d like to be able to do is make it play music on the Sonos by default. I know I can’t currently make it do everything through the Sonos, but just the music.