Question

How to fix Sonos move showing as offline

• 14 December 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

I think the reason my Sonos Move is showing offline is something to do with Alexa. I have a reasonably sized house so the Wi-fi strength from my BT router diminishes the further away from the router (let’s call that BT wifi network). Instead we installed 6 access points and have a separate Wi-fi network that is full strength wherever you are in the house (Let’s call that House Wi-fi network).

i have a Sonos Amp directly connected by Ethernet cable into the BT router, and then all my Sonos devices are linked together and in the case of the Sonos Move I told it to connect to the BT Wi-fi channel, not the House Wi-fi channel, this is because it was the only way it would work. When I set it up with my iPhone I had to make sure my phone was also on the BT Wi-fi channel, and the setup worked fine.

Once done I reverted my phone, iPad, laptop etc all to the House Wi-fi, and everything works fine.

Then my son comes home and sets up Alexa on his phone ( on House Wi-fi), and all still seems well, but next morning we all notice the Sonos Move had declared itself “offline”, and we cannot get it back online.

Has anyone got a fix for this?

I am thinking to setup all my devices again, but this time without the Sonos Amp being physically connected to the BT router, and instead just connecting to the House Wi-fi network, but I don’t know if this will work.

The other option is to dump Alexa maybe.

Thanks for any advice

Russell

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

There are a number of ways to resolve your network issues here, (perhaps slightly easier than the suggestion which follows),  but this would be my chosen setup to fix your local network issues...

I would personally switch off one of the WiFi systems, possibly the BT one ..and stick to using the WiFi mesh system and set all access points to operate on the exact same 'fixed' WiFi channels. It’s important to keep the access points on the same channel, rather than allowing them to auto-select a channel. Ensure also that the SSID for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands have different names.

Next, wire one Sonos speaker, or a Sonos Boost, to the primary WiFi mesh hub that connects to the BT router and then do these two things…

1. Ensure both your SonosNet channel and the WiFi mesh hubs chosen  2.4ghz WiFi Channel are set at least 5 channels apart to prevent signal overlap. So if the hub WiFi is on channel 6 (as an example) then try SonosNet on either channel 1 or 11.
  2. When running your devices on SonosNet, with one device wired to the main router, ensure you have removed your WiFi credentials in “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup”  as they are not required and this will prevent Sonos devices hopping back and forth between SonosNet and your Routers WiFi Signal.

Now reset and connect your Move speaker to the 5ghz mesh WiFi signal instead.

That should bring about a much more stable system and then connect your controllers and any other devices (non-Sonos), either to the 5ghz WiFi band (preferred) or the 2.4ghz band of your mesh system.

Userlevel 1

Hi Ken,

thank you for your reply. It looks like I have now fixed it, but the solution was a really simple one.

i unplugged the Sonos amp from the BT router and then plugged the cable from the Amp into the 48 port switch that the 6 access points are connected to. I then opened the Sonos app on my iPhone and it took a while to load, then it seemed to re connect one by one to each of my Sonos devices, and hey presto the Move was no longer “offline”, and everything seems to be working perfectly!!!

Thanks and regards 

Russell