Answered

How to disable the alexa feature?

• 5 October 2017
  • 23 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14
I'm so underwhelmed by this implementation *no favourites, playlists, Spotify) that I want to disable the feature.

So what's the easiest way to do this?
icon

Best answer by Lozboz 5 October 2017, 16:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you need to ask then frankly you haven't taken the trouble to understand how it works and are therefore most unlikely to get them most out of this Beta application.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm so underwhelmed by this implementation *no favourites, playlists, Spotify) that I want to disable the feature.

So what's the easiest way to do this?

Have you not used any Alexa skills or smart devices with your Echo devices? You'd remove Sonos devices in exactly the same way.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Thanks for the usual sneering replies which characterise this forum.
Sneering posts receive repiles in kind. Plus, they have a point. But hey, if it means less of your sneering, just disable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thanks for the usual sneering replies which characterise this forum.

To be fair you came on here complaining you are underwhelmed with a Beta firmware update and then asked a question that is so blindingly simple that it demonstrates that you either didn't activate the required Alexa skills and discover your devices or you haven't got any Alexa devices and are just trolling for the sheer hell of it or the system is too complicated. Either way you can't reasonably have expected other than snarky repsonses
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Of course, I discovered devices. Asking for advice doesn't warrant the replies I got.

FYI: I've been an alpha tester for another system for almost a year. This has all the features (and more) that the Sonos beta offers.

For most users, the Sonos beta isn't much more than what can be done with 2 dots using the alexa pairing (no Spotify, no favourites, no playlist except amazon music playlists). I'd give it 4/10.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Of course, I discovered devices. Asking for advice doesn't warrant the replies I got.

I don't think my reply was sneering but this reply begs the question 'why weren't you able to work out how to remove it?'.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
I did work it out - I was just asking for advice from the 'experts' here.

Anyway, it's gone ... I'll await the 'coming soon' features before trying it again.
Userlevel 2
Badge

FYI: I've been an alpha tester for another system for almost a year. This has all the features (and more) that the Sonos

Hahahaha, yes of course you are 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
FYI: I've been an alpha tester for another system for almost a year. This has all the features (and more) that the Sonos beta offers.

and this amazing system is .... ?

For most users, the Sonos beta isn't much more than what can be done with 2 dots using the alexa pairing (no Spotify, no favourites, no playlist except amazon music playlists). I'd give it 4/10.

And that should tell you something. This integration between Sonos and Amazon doesn't effectively do anything that Amazon can't do on it's own. Perhaps Amazon wants it that way? If you're disappointed in the interface, I'd look at Amazon before I look at Sonos. Sonos made a lot more features available in their existing API, there would be no good reason to make this integration with Amazon less, unless Amazon didn't want to, or wasn't capable yet, of doing better.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14

and this amazing system is .... ?

I didn't say it was amazing ... but it works (Alexa-LMS) . The other plus point is the support forum isn't full of sneering 'experts'

Based on my experience using alexa to control SB players, I mentioned months back that 'voice control' was unlikely to prove to be the 'must-have' that many people expected. But I did expect something more than a pseudo-echo from Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I didn't say it was amazing ... but it works (Alexa-LMS) . The other plus point is the support forum isn't full of sneering 'experts'

hardly comparable - a system for which you cant even buy any new hardware and supported by the community of owners and enthusiasts. Ive had squeezeboxes in the past and they are not for everyone due to the level of technical know-how required to get/keep them running.
Gee, how did I know it was going to be LMS. 😃
Userlevel 6
Badge +14

hardly comparable - a system for which you cant even buy any new hardware and supported by the community of owners and enthusiasts. Ive had squeezeboxes in the past and they are not for everyone due to the level of technical know-how required to get/keep them running.

I didn't say they were for everyone.

Hardware isn't really an issue as raspberry pi's can easily be used as players, as well as a wide range of other speakers (eg. Libratone, Sonos, etc.).

The community support is 99% helpful and largely lacking spiteful commentators who seem to enjoy 'putting' other users down.
When you come on here and constantly pimp another "product" (and I use the term loosely), yeah you will get flack for it. It is the same as going on a Chevy forum and pimping Ford (or in this case, pimping Oldsmobile), and about as obnoxious.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
There's no way I'd go on a Chevy forum (since they don't exist in Europe) and pimp a Ford (which I unfortunately own also).
I raised the 'other system' (not by name) as I was being treated as if I was a dimwit without any technical expertise.

I wouldn't recommend LMS necessarily to a technological neophyte, but I wouldn't recommend Sonos without pointing out some of its deficiencies either.

Once again, let's just park this discussion, as it isn't adding much to the discussion of the Sonos beta.
You talk LMS constantly, not just in this thread. But yeah, let's park that conversation (hopefully for good, in all threads).

As to Chevy's not being sold in Europe, LMS isn't sold anywhere, but that never stopped you from yakking about it here. 😉
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
LMS is free software.

The Sonos app is useless unless you have a Sonos device.
LMS is free software.

The Sonos app is useless unless you have a Sonos device.

You need to get your sarcasm meter checked. You take our little barbs at your precious Squeezebox wayyyyy too seriously. 😉
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Well, enjoy your newly converted Amazon-powered Sonos speaker!
*YAWN*
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
To be fair this latest Sonos release has been in development and private beta for quite a long time.

Labelling the general release 'beta' is a cynical way of not having to say that it isn't ready, but releasing it anyway because they have some new hardware to sell.