Answered

How is voice control managed when running multiple Sonos Ones in the same room?

• 24 December 2017
  • 3 replies

I’m curious, if you have multiple Ones in the same room (either as stereo pair or both standalone), do they all listen for Alexa commands? Or do you select just one to manage the voice control?

How well does this work? I know having multiple echos and Echo dots can be a bit clunky as they will both listen and then decide after activation which one will process the request.
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 24 December 2017, 14:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
They respond the same way as other Echo Devices. The closest one will respond and the other devices will then duck.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
UK media is correct. Just like in my house where I have Dots in adjoining rooms. When I say a command I can see multiple DOTS hearing me as their blue lights come on. But the Amazon server determines which one is getting the clearest command and only one will respond.

So lets say you have 2 Sonos Ones in two rooms beside each other. If you say a command and the Amazon server thinks it heard the one in the room beside you clearer - it is possible for music to start playing on that one instead of the one in the room your in. It's exactly the same way with Amazon Echo devices.
@chris, is it possible to have two Sonos One's (in different rooms) use Alexa independently? I seem to get a clash with mine, with one over-riding the others music, or sometimes telling me to set up the skills app (when the app is already set up, as I have controlled that Sonos One with Alexa before) ...