How do I make what's playing the kitchen also play in the living room using Alexa commands

• 2 December 2020
  • 3 replies

If I am playing music in my kitchen on my Sonos One and then walk into the living room, how do I ask Alexa to start playing the same music in the living room on my Sonos Beam. I know I can press and hold the play/pause touch button, but I want to ask Aexa to do this for me.

• Option 1 is I want the music to stop in the kitchen and play in the living room
  • Option 2 is I want the music to continue playing in the kitchen but also play in the living room.

I have groups set up in the Alexa app:

• Group 1 called Kitchen
  • Group 2 called Living room
  • Group 3 called downstairs which is Kitchen group + Living room group

Any help?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Unfortunately, Alexa cannot group/ungroup on the fly.  This is one of the limitations in the Alexa interface.

Amazon doesn’t like you using voice commands to do things on Sonos that you can’t do with their echo devices.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Adding speakers isn’t possible, but moving and removing is. I do this so, that I tell alex to “play music in the <group name with relevant speakers” (I have fore example group “all sonos speakers”), which causes the music being played to play in all speakers of this group. Then I tell, if I need to, alexa to stop playing in some rooms: “alexa stop music in the bedroom”. 

This method works surprisingly well. I have trouble most in starting the music as I have to tell Alexa to play twice if it isn’t already playing music.