Help with Alexa and multi room set up

• 13 January 2018
  • 12 replies

I have sonos 1 and 5. Trying to have Alexa play on either or both devices. How do I set up multi room? On sonos or Alexa app and how ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
To play across both devices, you will need to group them in the Sonos App as normal. then if you ask the Sonos One to play music it will be output on both players. The Sonos One doesn't yet support Alexa Groups.
Thank you. Does this mean you cannot add Alexa echo plus to the Sonos group of players ? Is echo plus always a stand alone player ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Correct.you can't at the moment group Amazon Echo speakers and Sonos players.
I thought you can control your sonos speakers via alexa (echo plus)? When I select discover devices it does not find the sonos speakers ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
To set it up in Alexa. Go to the Alexa App. Go to skills and enable the Sonos Skill in Alexa. Then it will discover your 2 Sonos players.
I did that and it won't find them. I tried to remove the app and start over and no luck.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
are you sure they don't already show under Smarthome when you click on it in Alexa app. You should see all the Sonos room names there. Did you try going to the skill and disabling it then re-enabling the skill.
Thanks Chris. I can see the speakers in the sonos app, but Alexa won't find them when I go to the Alexa app. I tried to disenable and start over. And I tried to ask Alexa to find them but she says there are no devices. Is there anything on the sonos device I need topush for them to pair ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Are they on the same network / WiFi. You confirmed they don’t show under smart home section in alexa app
Thanks yes. Same wifi and I can't find them under smart home. I can see the speakers on sonos app but they won't show up,under Alexa and she can't find them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Can you follow the steps I've listed in the Answer to this post and let us know how far you get:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239
Thanks all for the help. I spoke to sonos and Chris was on to something about the network. I have 2 different wifi networks with 2 speakers on each network (2 different locations). I was told Alexa can only find devices on 1 network. If I want to use Alexa on 2 different networks I have to get another Alexa device.