Question

HELP! SONOS refuses to play through Alexa

• 12 December 2017
  • 4 replies

I successfully went through all the steps to link Sonos to the Alexa app. The SONOS skill is now enabled and the Sonos Device "Kitchen" (a Play:1) was discovered and appears on the Device List. However, when I ask Alexa to play music, it simply plays it through the Echo Dot. If I specifically ask "Alexa, play music in Kitchen", Alexa will answer "Sorry, something went wrong". And no, I don't have another device named 'Kitchen'; just the Sonos speaker. And yes, I deleted the Sonos device on the Alexa app, asked the App to discover devices, it found it, and still the same problem. I'm at a loss... can anyone help?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Can you open the Alexa app on a PC https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or .com and select Smart Home>Devices and scroll to the bottom of the list and select 'Forget All' followed by 'Discover' I assume that you can still play via the app?

Please retest and let us know.
Userlevel 7
Hi

From your post you appear to be referring mainly to the Alexa App. Just as a check is the Sonos App properly setup as indicated in the link: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4347/
Thank you for your help. I made the app on the PC remove all the devices and re-discover them, but that didn't solve the problem. I ended up removing the SONOS skill from the Alexa app (unlinking), and re-installing the skill. That did it! I"m a happy camper now.
This sounds like a common issue (Alexa no longer responds to your voice commands). Check if the microphone light is "on." If not, try momentarily pressng the mic button. If the light comes on and then goes off when you release the button, you may have accidentlally disabled the miccrophone. To enable it again, simply swipe your finger across the mic button from right to left. The light should come on, and Alexa will then respond as before.