Help! Advice on multi-room setup with Echo Dot

• 4 January 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi! I hope someone can help. I'm trying to figure out how to do multi-room audio and choosing speakers, and Sonos keeps coming up.

Currently (and very shortly) I have a Dot in the bedroom, Echo in the front room and Dot in the kitchen.

Front-room has a full stereo setup with Amp and surround sound speakers.

Bedroom I'd like to sort a basic stereo for the TV that the sound can come out of.

Kitchen I'd like a simple speaker.

So for multi-room, I was going to 3.5m jack to the stereo in the front room. Bedroom I was going to find a sound-bar or similar (play5?) for the TV and hook up the dot via 3.5m jack. Then the kitchen just use a Play:1 via 3.5m jack.

The question is... with this all work without having to always swap inputs on both stereo systems? The whole point of automation is to minimise all that, so I'd love to just ask Alexa to 'play X' and it plays throughout the whole house, but with better sound than the terrible one in the Echo.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Kitchen get a Play:1 (or a Sonos One replacing the Dot too).

Bedroom - personally I sould do the Playbar but Play:5 is great. Comes down to how much TV listening do you want to do on it as the Playbar will be better for TV sound (surround and no delay vs. Play5 slightly better musically (but some fairly un-noticeable sound delay playing from TV)

Front Room - Hook a Sonos connect to the existing stereo Amp.

In the above you can use the Sonos controller to play music to any of the speakers or group them as you need. You can play different songs different rooms.

If you tell a dot or echo something like "Play Bruno Mars in Kitchen" - it will send the song to your Kitchen Sonos.

Couple things you can't do:
You can't group sound from your Echo with a Sonos speaker (having both playing in sync together)
If you get a Sonos One in kitchen and replace Dot - the Sonos one acts as alexa but doesn't do everything (won't do voice calls/intercom).... in return its nice that Sonos One you don't have to say room name. You can say "Alexa Play Bruno Mars" and the Sonos one will play on the Sonos One.
I’m looking for a base