Google Play Music support?

• 5 October 2017
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 3
Is support for Google Play Music subscription in the works? That's my preferred streaming service and unfortunately I do not see it listed in Alexa supported services. Any plans to add it please?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Yes please!!
Another request for Google Play!
Why aren't the other prominent music services (Google Play Music, Apple Music, etc.) not referenced in the support documentation on this? Why do we need to post to community boards to get this info? Yuck
Do you REALLY think Amazon is going to allow Alexa to support bitter rival Google’s services? You are aware that Google has removed YouTube from Amazon’s new Alexa-with-a-screen, right?

Sonos will be adding support for Google Assistant next year. Google Music will certainly be a part of that integration.
If Amazon was smart, they would support all the big players so that people choose their platform. I don't want to populate my house with devices from every major platform company.
Why aren't the other prominent music services (Google Play Music, Apple Music, etc.) not referenced in the support documentation on this? Why do we need to post to community boards to get this info? Yuck

You mean like right here in the Announcement section, prominently stickied at the top of the page:

What can Alexa do on Sonos?

You can use Alexa to start playing from Amazon Music, Amazon Music Unlimited, Pandora, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, TuneIn Radio, and we’re working to bring Spotify controls in the future too.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/alexa-now-playing-on-sonos-6791301

Or here, in the online support document titled Controlling your Sonos with Amazon Alexa:

Music services need to be added to both Sonos and the Alexa app. The following services are currently supported:

Amazon Music
Pandora
iHeartRadio
TuneIn Radio
SiriusXM

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343

Or here, in the Sonos blog:

Alexa will get smarter, faster, better.

Use your voice to cue up and control music from Amazon Music (Prime or Unlimited), TuneIn radio, Pandora, and iHeartRadio. Or start a song from Spotify, Apple Music and your other streaming services using the Sonos app. Then use voice commands to skip or replay songs, pause the music and adjust the volume.

http://blog.sonos.com/en/alexa-meet-sonos/

You mean like right here in the Announcement section, prominently stickied at the top of the page:

What can Alexa do on Sonos?

You can use Alexa to start playing from Amazon Music, Amazon Music Unlimited, Pandora, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, TuneIn Radio, and we’re working to bring Spotify controls in the future too.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/alexa-now-playing-on-sonos-6791301

Or here, in the online support document titled Controlling your Sonos with Amazon Alexa:

Music services need to be added to both Sonos and the Alexa app. The following services are currently supported:

Amazon Music
Pandora
iHeartRadio
TuneIn Radio
SiriusXM

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343

Or here, in the Sonos blog:

Alexa will get smarter, faster, better.

Use your voice to cue up and control music from Amazon Music (Prime or Unlimited), TuneIn radio, Pandora, and iHeartRadio. Or start a song from Spotify, Apple Music and your other streaming services using the Sonos app. Then use voice commands to skip or replay songs, pause the music and adjust the volume.

http://blog.sonos.com/en/alexa-meet-sonos/

He specifically mentions Apple Music and Google Play Music not being mentioned, and you post a bunch of things which don't mention Apple Music or Google Play Music. You just justified his complaint.
Sigh
He specifically mentions Apple Music and Google Play Music not being mentioned, and you post a bunch of things which don't mention Apple Music or Google Play Music. You just justified his complaint.

So not only do they have to specically state what it does support and to what extent, they now have to clarify what it DOESN'T support? Hmm, what will that look like:

Note: Alexa will not initiate playback on the following:

Apple Music
Google Play Music
78 rpm records
Your old Walkman
Your mom's KLH radio
Edison wax cylinders
The boom box you carried to school in junior high
The See and Say from kindergarten
Live Borneo drum circles
The Moog synthesiser that called the aliens in Close Encounters

Need more?

Most sane people would logically think that the unsupported services are the ones not listed as specifically supported. Then again, nobody ever went broke by underestimating the stupidity of the consumer public.

So not only do they have to specically state what it does support and to what extent, they now have to clarify what it DOESN'T support? Hmm, what will that look like:

Note: Alexa will not initiate playback on the following:

Apple Music
Google Play Music
78 rpm records
Your old Walkman
Your mom's KLH radio
Edison wax cylinders
The boom box you carried to school in junior high
The See and Say from kindergarten
Live Borneo drum circles
The Moog synthesiser that called the aliens in Close Encounters

Need more?

Most sane people would logically think that the unsupported services are the ones not listed as specifically supported. Then again, nobody ever went broke by underestimating the stupidity of the consumer public.

Most sane people can distinguish between an equivalent streaming music subscription service, and a record player. Most. Sonos even made a point, at launch, of saying Spotify support would be coming (notice that they didn’t mention record players). I believe the poster is just asking for Sonos to comment on whether support for those services is coming, or if there are no plans to.
No, that poster complained because there was no mention of Google Play Music or Apple Music support in multiple announcements, FAQs, and blog entries where they specifically mentioned what was actually being supported. Just as one should see by what is specifically listed as being supported that Edison wax cylinders are not on the list, one should similarly be able to easily understand that anything else not on the list, like Apple or Google, are also not being supported. Common sense, no?
No, that poster complained because there was no mention of Google Play Music or Apple Music support in multiple announcements, FAQs, and blog entries where they specifically mentioned what was actually being supported. Just as one should see by what is specifically listed as being supported that Edison wax cylinders are not on the list, one should similarly be able to easily understand that anything else not on the list, like Apple or Google, are also not being supported. Common sense, no?

He complained that they weren’t referenced; that’s reasonable. Unlike your reply. Sonos mentioned Spotify when it wasn’t supported. They mentioned Google Assistant though it’s not supported. So the ridiculous assumption that they can’t reference the biggest players without mentioning every electronic device is simply absurd. If a car manufacturer comes out and says that they are bringing Apple CarPlay support, it’s reasonable to ask them their plans for Android Auto support. Common sense would dictate that you’re not also asking them to state their plans for every irrelevant electronic device of the last 50 years.
I'm not going to keep arguing this silliness. Anybody who doesn't see their favorite service on a specified list of supported or soon to be supported services and then doesn't understand what that means, is going to have trouble in life. When I didn't see my name on the list for varsity hockey or alternate my first year of high school, I didn't need to go to the coach to ask if I made the team or not.
I'm not going to keep arguing this silliness. Anybody who doesn't see their favorite service on a specified list of supported or soon to be supported services and then doesn't understand what that means, is going to have trouble in life. When I didn't see my name on the list for varsity hockey or alternate my first year of high school, I didn't need to go to the coach to ask if I made the team or not.
Did your coach add players monthly via a software update? Oh, sorry, you were just making another ridiculous, irrelevant comment. If you think that asking about a service, which Sonos already supports through their software, is akin to making the freshman hockey team....well, good luck with that.
Ahem, that would be the varsity hockey team. As if I wasn't making the freshman team . . . :D

The point still stands. Omission from a specified list should be good enough for most sane people to realize.

But you know that.
If you are looking for how tow import music from spotify to amazon music try MusConv.com too
You can try MusConv tool .You can try MusConv tool
I used MusConv.com..Trust Me ,it was helpful