Sticky

Getting Ready for Sonos One


Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Community Manager
  • 9361 replies



If you’re as excited about the new Sonos One as we are, you’ll want to make sure you’re ready to go the moment you pick it up on the 24th. Here’s everything you need to know to be all prepped for the release of the Sonos One.

  1. On your mobile device, download the Amazon Alexa app from the Apple app store or Google Play. This app is going to be used to control some basic Alexa services, such as picking a default music service from the Alexa supported services.
  2. Create an Amazon account, if you don’t have one yet. Just click Sign In and Start here where it asks if you’re a new user.
  3. Update all your Sonos devices to version 8.0 by checking for updates inside the Sonos app.

That’s it! You’ll be ready to go the moment your Sonos One gets to your home. If you’d like to read more about Alexa and Sonos, check out this page on using other Alexa enabled devices with Sonos, and this one too on How Alexa Works With Sonos.

71 replies

I presume I can just add Sonos One and reuse my Play:1's for stereo pairs?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Doughnut wrote:

I presume I can just add Sonos One and reuse my Play:1's for stereo pairs?


You got it. Once set up, you can use the Sonos One wherever you want. It can stereo pair or be set up as a surround speaker too, but you'll need to pair two Sonos Ones together, they don't bond with PLAY:1s for those setups.
Ah, so you can’t pair a Sonos One and a Play:1
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
TimHarrison wrote:

Ah, so you can’t pair a Sonos One and a Play:1


That's correct.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Ryan, thanks for all the quick responses.

If you setup 2 Sonos One as a stereo pair, it will be one zone in the Sonos app. Will it be considered one Alexa device in the Alexa app, or two?

To further elaborate, will both Sonos One's be listening 'as one'? Will Alexa respond out of both speakers (for non-music) or only out of the Sonos One that heard me?
Already disappointed. So I have 3x Play:1 and have to buy two Sonos One for stereo in living room? Also what genius has come up with "touch control" instead buttons? That is like complete nonsense - nobody asked for it, it's completely unpractical and hasn't work on NO device better that buttons with tactile response except phones where you manipulate content - I loved that I could find buttons by touch when the I have Sonos on shelf, or next to couch without need of visual feedback - now I touch somewhere on top without look and who knows what it will do. I can't really imagine no one who will go to stare on top of speaker to find "where" to touch it.

Will there be version 1.1 which will pair for stereo with Play:1 and have buttons?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
@VeeTee, you could always pick up an Amazon Echo Dot for the room instead of replacing players with a Sonos One. Also, we've been using capacitive touch for the last couple Sonos releases, the PLAY:5 gen2 and PLAYBASE both have it. It's really easy to use actually, and I think easier than buttons for that matter. You might want to play with one of them at a store to see how you like it. Large sections of the surface will respond to the touch.

Besides, with the Sonos One if you want to turn it down just say "Alexa, volume down," no buttons or touches needed at all.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
melvimbe wrote:

Ryan, thanks for all the quick responses.


You're welcome.
melvimbe wrote:

If you setup 2 Sonos One as a stereo pair, it will be one zone in the Sonos app. Will it be considered one Alexa device in the Alexa app, or two?


In Sonos, it'll show up as one Room. Both will be listed in your Alexa app though.
melvimbe wrote:

To further elaborate, will both Sonos One's be listening 'as one'? Will Alexa respond out of both speakers (for non-music) or only out of the Sonos One that heard me?


They will listen on their own, but only the one that hears you better will respond. They use beam forming technology to identify which speaker you're talking to, and then that one will respond and issue commands to the rest of the system.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Thanks for the response Ryan, it would be kinda cool if Alexa responded in stereo, but I can see where that would add some extra complication. It seems as if the Alexa part of it and the Sonos part of it operate separately.

So I guess that means that if you were using a different skill, like getting your news update, or having Alexa sing happy birthday, that won't be as a stereo pair (if setup that way) just over the Sonos One that heard you.
Userlevel 1
Can I now control my Play:1 through my Amazon Echo or do I need to buy the SONOS ONE to make the integration work between the Echo and Sonos?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Ryan S wrote:


They will listen on their own, but only the one that hears you better will respond. They use beam forming technology to identify which speaker you're talking to, and then that one will respond and issue commands to the rest of the system.


That's good to know. I know Echo Dots have similar functionality to make sure that only device responds even if multiple devices hear the command. Will Sonos One and Echos work together in that respect? I.e., if I issue a command to Alexa and it gets picked up by both a Sonos One and a nearby Echo Dot, will they negotiate amongst themselves so that only one device responds?
The promotional videos for the Sonos One make it appear that the commands are different than when using an echo device. For example, they are not using the word Alexa in the commands. Is there any documentation on the differences in functionality between using an echo device and the Sonos One? I’m trying to decide on purchasing a 2nd Play 1 for a stereo pair.
And one more thing that is disappointing - I guess the SONOS ONE still doesn't have Bluetooth to which I could connect my bluetooth earphones late at night to continue listening SONOS and not waking up my neighbours.
Userlevel 2
Badge
cmoore75 wrote:

The promotional videos for the Sonos One make it appear that the commands are different than when using an echo device. For example, they are not using the word Alexa in the commands. Is there any documentation on the differences in functionality between using an echo device and the Sonos One? I’m trying to decide on purchasing a 2nd Play 1 for a stereo pair.


I might be wrong, but I suspect the promotional videos are just taking liberties and skipping the trigger word for brevity. Everything on the Sonos One page suggests that you have to use the same "Alexa" trigger word you would with a Dot.

That said, it would be great to understand the pros and cons between the Alexa implementation on the Sonos One and the integration between existing Sonos speakers and the Dot. We know one advantage of the Sonos One is that you don't have to specify it as a speaker when issuing Alexa commands, which is awesome. But are there features that the Songs One is missing compared to a full fledged Amazon Echo device? For example, can you "drop in" on or "call" a Sonos One like you can an Echo Dot?
Will the Alexa enabled Play1 find content on a NAS as well as music services? I use Deeser Elite as well as Napster. Can you explain how it will determine WHICH content it will choose to play?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
twangus wrote:

Ryan S wrote:


They will listen on their own, but only the one that hears you better will respond. They use beam forming technology to identify which speaker you're talking to, and then that one will respond and issue commands to the rest of the system.


That's good to know. I know Echo Dots have similar functionality to make sure that only device responds even if multiple devices hear the command. Will Sonos One and Echos work together in that respect? I.e., if I issue a command to Alexa and it gets picked up by both a Sonos One and a nearby Echo Dot, will they negotiate amongst themselves so that only one device responds?


Long question, short answer. Yes. :)

kirby wrote:

Can I now control my Play:1 through my Amazon Echo or do I need to buy the SONOS ONE to make the integration work between the Echo and Sonos?


No Sonos One needed. You can use any Alexa enabled device. The Sonos One is a Sonos, Alexa enabled device.

cmoore75 wrote:

The promotional videos for the Sonos One make it appear that the commands are different than when using an echo device. For example, they are not using the word Alexa in the commands. Is there any documentation on the differences in functionality between using an echo device and the Sonos One? I’m trying to decide on purchasing a 2nd Play 1 for a stereo pair.


Some of the videos use the Alexa command, it's necessary. The short ones use as few words as they can to make it short. The Alexa is implied. The Sonos One should have mostly the same functionality as any other Alexa device in regards to commands.
@Twangus, the biggest difference is that Sonos One will be opening up to other voice services. Next to come is Google Assistant. Same box, ask two different services questions. Sonos One won't have the drop in/call feature and a few other things of that nature will be missing at launch. They may be added over time as we continue to improve.


sjarman wrote:

Will the Alexa enabled Play1 find content on a NAS as well as music services? I use Deeser Elite as well as Napster. Can you explain how it will determine WHICH content it will choose to play?


Alexa can start playing from Amazon Music, Amazon Music Unlimited, Pandora, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, TuneIn Radio, and we’re working to bring Spotify controls in the future too. It won't choose content to play from Deezer, Napster or your local library. It will be able to use basic controls, such as play, pause, volume, and skip, on your Sonos players for all services and music on Sonos, started through the Sonos app.
Meanwhile, Apple tries to keep up. :D

Userlevel 2
Badge
Ryan S wrote:

twangus wrote:

Ryan S wrote:


They will listen on their own, but only the one that hears you better will respond. They use beam forming technology to identify which speaker you're talking to, and then that one will respond and issue commands to the rest of the system.


That's good to know. I know Echo Dots have similar functionality to make sure that only device responds even if multiple devices hear the command. Will Sonos One and Echos work together in that respect? I.e., if I issue a command to Alexa and it gets picked up by both a Sonos One and a nearby Echo Dot, will they negotiate amongst themselves so that only one device responds?


Long question, short answer. Yes. :)



Awesome. :)
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I guess the SONOS ONE still doesn't have Bluetooth


FYI - It also lacks mHBC (magnetic human body communication), so we're stuck with these relatively high power cost transmissions.
Thanks Ryan. That's certainly a disappointment as Deezer Elite is a fantastic lossless (FLAC) subscription service and the music on my NAS is all in FLAC format as well. Any plans on the roadmap for voice control for local NAS and Deezer Elite?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
sjarman wrote:

Thanks Ryan. That's certainly a disappointment as Deezer Elite is a fantastic lossless (FLAC) subscription service and the music on my NAS is all in FLAC format as well. Any plans on the roadmap for voice control for local NAS and Deezer Elite?


No specific ones I can share today. But we'd love to bring all services and voice to Sonos.
Yes, understandably. You guys have done a great job and naturally I imagine that more capability will follow. For me, integration of voice support for local NAS and Deezer Elite and Napster will be the only reason to add a new SONOS ONE to my already extensive SONOS eco-system. I'm patient, everything SONOS does has been worth the wait.
I really hope you will reconsider the ability to use a Sonos One in stereo with a Play 1. I understand the sound may not be perfectly matched but I’m betting it would be close enough for most of us. I saw your suggestion about using an echo dot with a pair of Play 1’s instead, but I’d really like the option of using Airplay when it’s available.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
sjarman wrote:

Yes, understandably. You guys have done a great job and naturally I imagine that more capability will follow. For me, integration of voice support for local NAS and Deezer Elite and Napster will be the only reason to add a new SONOS ONE to my already extensive SONOS eco-system. I'm patient, everything SONOS does has been worth the wait.



Same here, I use Deezer Premium+ and my NAS mainly played through Sonos.
Badge
Will it be possible to change the wake word on a Sonos One like you can on an Echo?

Reply

    • :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)