Answered

Folk Alley skill

• 23 April 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi. One of my favorite streams is a listener-supported station called Folk Alley, https://www.folkalley.com/. I have been listening to their stream on TuneIn for quite some time. However, they have recently added a "member stream" for people who have donated money to support their operation. If you listen to the member stream, you do not have to listen to their asking for money during pledge drives. So I made the required contribution. I can get the member stream via their web page, but I emailed Folk Alley and asked them if it is possible for me to listen to that stream using my Sonos One with built-in Alexa. They responded that they have an Alexa skill! I was excited about that, and added the skill. But when I try "Alexa, play Folk Alley" I just get the response "Sorry, I'm having trouble accessing your Folk Alley skill right now."

Now I am realizing that this may not be possible, unless Sonos adds the Folk Alley skill to their list of streaming sources in the US. Is this correct? I can remove the skill and go back to listening with TuneIn, but then I have to hear the fund-raising stuff even though I have already contributed. Is there some other way to do it? Such as, could I create an m3u file (that logs me in with my member password) in my local music library and play it that way? Thanks for any suggestions.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 24 April 2018, 00:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, hillwilly. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Does Folk Alley offer a URL for their member stream? If so, you can add the station to Sonos.

On the Sonos side, our team is actively working on bringing audio skill support to Sonos. In the meantime, I am happy to forward this topic along for visibility. Thanks for your patience so far.
I will reach out to the Folk Alley people and ask about that. It would need to have my user ID and password embedded into the URL, but maybe I could do that. Thanks for the help!
This is yet another of the dozens of skills not currently supported on Sonos due to their infuriating lack of support for the Alexa AudioPlayer interface. They've been promising "full support" for Alexa now for six months, with precious little to show for it. This is not a Folk Alley issue, but a Sonos issue.

This skill will work fine on an Echo or Dot. If you have a Sonos device with line in, connect a Dot to it until Sonos finally gets its act together on this.