Question

Firestick Alexa and Sonos

• 22 October 2017
  • 15 replies

I have a full Sonos system and an Amazon Firestick linked to the TV on the same network. The Firestick has Alexa voice control. Given the new Sonos voice activated software linked to Alexa is it possible to use the Firestick to control Sonos ion the same way.?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
You should be able to use the voice assistant on any Alexa enabled device to control Sonos. Just set up the Sonos skill in the Alexa app and discover your Sonos devices. They should all show as available.
Oh, had no idea! Just told the Fire Stick remote to play some jazz in the kitchen, and the Sonos One started playing. What fun!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Oh, had no idea! Just told the Fire Stick remote to play some jazz in the kitchen, and the Sonos One started playing. What fun!
You can even use the Amazon Music app, or other Amazon apps with Alexa built in, to control Sonos with the assistant using your mobile devices.
I have a firestick and use Amazon Music Unlimited. I have received a Sonos one as an ISP customer perk. I've set the Alexa skill up and linked to my Sonos account but if I ask Alexa to play X on the Sonos it just tellse it cannot find a device called X despite it fully being set up as a smart home device. Will this functionality only work with a Sonos One due to Alexa, surely I should be able to route the audio??
Did you discover devices in the Alexa app? Need to...
Yep device was discovered and is visible in devices... I can stream directly from the app on my phone and it works fine but if I try to use Alexa to play from my AM:u account it says it can't find a device called what my device has been successfully labelled within Alexa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If you're talking to the Sonos One, does it work if you just say "Alexa, play some music?"

When using the Sonos One, room targeting shouldn't be needed to play on itself.

The Sonos One should be listed in your Alexa app twice, as a Sonos speaker for room targeting and as an Alexa enabled device.
I don't own a Sonos One. Its a Sonos Play:1 which I know doesn't have Alexa built in but as I understand it alexa can control smart devices as long as there is a skill for it which there is. Alexa app sees it and its listed as a smart home device. If I use the Amazon music app on my phone I can play to the speaker fine which has been named "living room" if I ask Alexa on my firestick to play music on "living room" it tells me it can't locate a device called "living room" you may need to add a skill in the Alexa app. Which I have already done.
In the Alexa app (not the Amazon Music app), under Smart Home, do you have a device named Living Room? When you click on Living Room, does it say Connected via Sonos?
Yes
Just tested this with my Play:1 pair. Pushed button on FireTV remote, said "play some jazz in the office". Worked like a charm. No idea why it's not working for you.
I would be interested to know what settings you have... I followed the set up process step by step and it's failing...
I have a Sonos One with 9 other sonos devices. My question is, if I get a Firestick and connect to my Samsung Smart TV, can Alexa control my TV, change channels etc...?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I would be interested to know what settings you have... I followed the set up process step by step and it's failing...

Please follow the steps I've listed in the Answer to this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-she-is-playing-on-kitchen-but-no-sound-comes-out-6800126/index1.html#post16210022
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a Sonos One with 9 other sonos devices. My question is, if I get a Firestick and connect to my Samsung Smart TV, can Alexa control my TV, change channels etc...?

It depends upon which country you live in. US = Yes. I don't think anywhere else is supported yet. (You need the ability to pair an Echo device with the Fire TV device which isn't available in the UK yet 😞 )