Skip to main content
Question

Failed Alexa Voice activation

• 8 July 2024
  • 1 reply

I had problems with Alexa and was encouraged to deregister some of my products to fix this. Now three of my devices font respond anymore. Amazon think its a Sonos issue but as that system works well i find it hard to address.. I no longer see the Wifi sign next to the disabled speakers but not sure how to re-enable this. Should the Wifi on my beams and Sonos One be enabled or disabled. Only the One has no Ethernet. 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PhilipJH 

Welcome to the Sonos Community! And, apologies for the delay.

One question: “I no longer see the Wifi sign next to the disabled speakers but not sure how to re-enable this” - are you referring to the Alexa app here? If not, I’m not sure what you mean.

As for “Should the Wifi on my beams and Sonos One be enabled or disabled. Only the One has no Ethernet.” We recommend you keep WiFi enabled even if you are using ethernet on that device. An ethernet-connected speaker will broadcast a dedicated WiFi signal that other speakers that belong to you will automatically prefer over any normal WiFi signal. This can improve matters, or make them worse - it depends on the environment and equipment used. You can read more about it in my article:

As for the issue with Alexa that you report, it sounds like you were guided through the following steps. It may help to go through them again - perhaps some step was skipped or went wrong last time.

1. Remove Alexa from all Sonos products that have it: Remove a voice assistant
  2. Disable the Sonos skill for Alexa: Alexa app » More » Skills & Games » Your Skills » Sonos » Disable.
  3. Deregister all Sonos devices from Alexa: Alexa app » Devices » [all entries relating to Sonos] » Deregister. Note there may be two entries each for the Sonos devices that were running Alexa, one for the others.
  4. Add Alexa back to Sonos rooms that require it.

If this does not resolve the Alexa issue you are having, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.