Question

Enable skills

• 24 November 2017
  • 3 replies

Just purchased my first sonos.
The sound is amazing. I went for the one with Alexa built in and this is where I’m having problems, when I’m asked to enable skills it takes me to the Alexa app and ask’s me to set up a device but there is no option for the sonos one so I can’t go any further with the set up, I have spoken to amazon and a sonos expert both of these people tried their best but were no help.
I really would like to keep this as I think it could be an amazing speaker but I wanted to enjoy the whole experience. I’m considering giving up and returning it, this forum is my last hope.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I just made this account to ask if I can play audible through a Sonos One via echo dots and Alexa. I assumed it would be no problem when I heard the speaker was compatible and I ordered a Sonos One and a dot to try the system out and decide if I want to do sonos for my home theater. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow. We shall see... I won’t be keeping it if I cannot listen to my audiobooks as well as my music.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
when I’m asked to enable skills it takes me to the Alexa app and ask’s me to set up a device but there is no option for the sonos one so I can’t go any further with the set up
To the OP's question about setting up Alexa... When you're taken to the Alexa app, you want to look through the skills and search for Sonos. When you go to enable the Sonos skill, you'll link your Amazon and Sonos accounts together. Once your accounts are linked, then you can go to Smart Home > Devices and perform the Discover Devices function so that it will find your Sonos One.

Hopefully that helps, and welcome to the world of Sonos! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just purchased my first sonos.
The sound is amazing. I went for the one with Alexa built in and this is where I’m having problems, when I’m asked to enable skills it takes me to the Alexa app and ask’s me to set up a device but there is no option for the sonos one so I can’t go any further with the set up, I have spoken to amazon and a sonos expert both of these people tried their best but were no help.
I really would like to keep this as I think it could be an amazing speaker but I wanted to enjoy the whole experience. I’m considering giving up and returning it, this forum is my last hope.

Hi and welcome

What platform are you accessing the App on?

If you look at the answer I've list in this Answer, it specifies which app to use for certain actions:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239