Answered

Echo + Sonos 1 + Bluetooth

• 24 December 2018
  • 9 replies

I have 2 Amazon echos and just picked up a Sonos player 1 pair of speakers from Costco. I have one of my echos paired with my receiver, which is a Denon. I have an “everywhere” group in m the Alexa app and can play music through both echos in different rooms. I can’t get the Sonos speakers to play with both echos. Is this not possible? Thanks for any help you guys can provide. I searched around but couldn’t find an article or thread about this type of configuration. I can get the Sonos to play with a specific “family room” group with one of the echos.
icon

Best answer by Smilja 24 December 2018, 16:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It's not possible to group Amazon speakers and any other 3rd party multi-room speaker, although some 3rd party stand-alone speakers can now be grouped. This is due to the different syncing technologies involved.
Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, I don’t want to group the speakers on the Echos but the Bluetooth once’s they are using. For instance the receiver is connected via Bluetooth and the other one has a UE Boom paired with it.
Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, I don’t want to group the speakers on the Echos but the Bluetooth once’s they are using. For instance the receiver is connected via Bluetooth and the other one has a UE Boom paired with it.
Not possible. Sonos doesn't do Bluetooth and you can't make the system compatible with Bluetooth by bringing in third-party devices.
Thanks for the help. I ended up returning the Sonos speakers and got the Bose SoundTouch 10 set from Costco instead. After a little more research and about 20 minutes getting the new speakers setup I can do exactly what I want. The SoundTouch speakers let you connect both speakers in stereo via Bluetooth to one of the echos, while the other echo is connected to my receiver. Create an “everywhere” type speaker group with both echos in it and tell Alexa to play your artist/genre “everywhere” and I have play back on both receiver and SoundTouch speakers. Also the SoundTouch sound better than the Sonos, more low end and a little louder.

Thanks again for the help. Hope this thread helps others....
You can do the exact same thing using Sonos and Alexa groups, by putting all Sonos speakers into an "Everywhere" group and making them the preferred speakers. This would come with the additional benefit of using WiFi, which means the short range and degraded sound of Bluetooth is avoided. But, it sounds like you are happy.
Sure. The Bose SoundTouch 10 is Bluetooth-enabled.
You can do the exact same thing using Sonos and Alexa groups, by putting all Sonos speakers into an "Everywhere" group and making them the preferred speakers. This would come with the additional benefit of using WiFi, which means the short range and degraded sound of Bluetooth is avoided. But, it sounds like you are happy.

No you can’t can’t create a speaker group with 2 echos one using WiFi and one using Bluetooth. I want to be able to use my receiver and the speakers attached to it + another echo with Sonos or Bose speakers, and the everywhere type group. This doesn’t work with Sonos but does work with Bose. It looks like Amazon has added the development features to allow this but 3rd parties haven’t taken advantage of it yet or at least Sonos hasn’t.

No you can’t can’t create a speaker group with 2 echos one using WiFi and one using Bluetooth. I want to be able to use my receiver and the speakers attached to it + another echo with Sonos or Bose speakers, and the everywhere type group. This doesn’t work with Sonos but does work with Bose. It looks like Amazon has added the development features to allow this but 3rd parties haven’t taken advantage of it yet or at least Sonos hasn’t.

You are correct, Sonos will not play simultaneously with Echoes. But then, neither will the Bose. Just wait until you try to get the Bose in sync with your receiver, you will be pulling your hair out.

But glad you found a "solution".

You are correct, Sonos will not play simultaneously with Echoes. But then, neither will the Bose. Just wait until you try to get the Bose in sync with your receiver, you will be pulling your hair out.

But glad you found a "solution".

I already got it to work. I don’t want to use the Bose speakers with my receiver. The receiver already has speakers. I wanted the speakers to work with one echo while the receiver would work with another echo and have both of those echos in a speaker group and play at the same time, through the Bose speakers and the receivers speakers and this works.